GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Agostini for GRiSO

Go down 
+34
Lemppari
SuperSimo
Oz1200Guzzi
jono-9
Josh.C
Jackstraw
waterbottle
AOAM
John Lyon
little750
akshaydeo
Triman023
Boysie
Tolle09
Street
keenerkeen07
Grisonut
DungeonMaster
plantboy
Ralf z
bikesnbones
Charlie J
55tburt
LBC Tenni
tocino
Tassiedevil71
Steak
Guzziboy66
grisorosso
wardest
Pete Roper
The Saint
garyclem
beetle
38 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Agostini for GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Agostini for GRiSO   Agostini for GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:38 pm

Right as Pete says here:

OK gang, here's the plan. I currently hold some of Mark's donation money. He's suggested I use this towards one of these Ago pipes which I then use for logging purposes and then on-sell. I'm happy with this.

If we buy a pipe from overseas it will probably cost in the vicinity of $800US, this is what AF-1 has them for, or slightly less from Agostinis themselves BUT then there is shipping and all the other embuggerances involved in getting it here and/or ensuring the Italians take off the VAT/GST.

At the moment I can order one from the importer for $820AU ex-tax so add on GST and it's going to be $902. I'll be more than happy to on-sell it after Mark has built the map for it at that price and I will fit it, re-map your bike and give it a TB balance for free.

Any takers?

If anyone would like a map for their Agostini and would like to make a donation towards it, please make yourself known to me. The plan would be that Pete buys a pipe from the importer here and we build a map. Those who donate get a map and we then on-sell the Ago to recoup the cost. The new owner gets a newish pipe, remap and a TB balance.

How does that sound? I would expect we will build two maps, one with the catcon and one without.

Yes? No?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
garyclem
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
garyclem

Agostini for GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agostini for GRiSO   Agostini for GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:39 pm

Is this the muffler you and Pete are referring to
Back to top Go down
The Saint
Biondino
Biondino
The Saint

Agostini for GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agostini for GRiSO   Agostini for GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:40 pm

Yes. Brilliant idea Pete. I'm happy to lend you my pipe. It could be in your hands end of the week, early next week.
Back to top Go down
The Saint
Biondino
Biondino
The Saint

Agostini for GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agostini for GRiSO   Agostini for GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:42 pm

garyclem wrote:
Is this the muffler you and Pete are referring to

That's the one
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Agostini for GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agostini for GRiSO   Agostini for GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:49 pm

The Saint wrote:
Yes. Brilliant idea Pete. I'm happy to lend you my pipe. It could be in your hands end of the week, early next week.

Better yet! OK, I'm awaiting the arrival of my logging gear and I'll need to go over to Wagga to have Mark help me install it and show me how to work the bootable thumb drive with my laptop so I can reliably supply him with the info he needs. After that it's all systems go. Yes, definitely bud two maps.

If you want to send your pipe up here address it to me at

23, King St.
Bungendore. NSW2621

That's the workshop address.

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Agostini for GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agostini for GRiSO   Agostini for GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:51 pm

Even better if we can borrow one. Does yours have a catcon?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
wardest
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
wardest

Agostini for GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agostini for GRiSO   Agostini for GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:52 pm

I want one of those. I am working out how to source said pipe.
The Agostini Mandello web site not only sux but blows at the same time for anyone outside the EU.

Happy to be involved in map making etc

Mike
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Agostini for GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agostini for GRiSO   Agostini for GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:02 pm

Well Mike as I said I'm more than happy to buy one for mapping purposes and flick it on at cost. I know that freight from Italy tends to be very pricey which is why I usually buy from Rick and Gordon rather than dealing with Ago or Stucchi direct, (I'm a bit gunshy of Stucchi at the moment as the receivers are in control I'm told.) my guess is that even if you buy direct you won't make a huge saving. I've been wrong before though.
Back to top Go down
The Saint
Biondino
Biondino
The Saint

Agostini for GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agostini for GRiSO   Agostini for GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:56 pm

beetle wrote:
Even better if we can borrow one. Does yours have a catcon?

No. I've asked everywhere and the response was it doesn't come with a cat. Strangely, mine came with a certificate which suggests it should. Anyway, I'm waiting to get in touch with Peter from JSA and see whether they import them with or without. Maybe Pete could find out. I believe the cat should be in the connecting pipe and must optional.
In saying that, I don think it's necessary. Mines butter smooth, in a GRiSO kinda way, especially with the Dbk installed. The exhaust stays cooler as well.
Back to top Go down
The Saint
Biondino
Biondino
The Saint

Agostini for GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agostini for GRiSO   Agostini for GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:59 pm

I'm taking Wednesday off so I'll be able to send it then. If you decide to purchase one, let me know by Wednesday morning.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Agostini for GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agostini for GRiSO   Agostini for GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:26 am

No worries. Now somebody called me and said that they had *a* cat con that came with their pipe? Was it Mr. Salkeld? Anyway whoever it was if they could let me know if they aren't using it.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Agostini for GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agostini for GRiSO   Agostini for GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:26 am

Yeah, some folks have reported having a cat, but the Agostini website is diabolical and if anyone can make sense of it and let me know if they do exist I'd appreciate it! Very Happy

I'm sure I've read somewhere on the interwebs of mention of a cat that is inserted into the Ago connecting pipe as you mention. I can't remember where though.

If some have cats, then we make a map for cats too. It's that simple.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Agostini for GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agostini for GRiSO   Agostini for GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:33 am

I think Mark has a Mistral Conical.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Agostini for GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agostini for GRiSO   Agostini for GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:49 am

Guzziboy66 mentions he has a catcon in his Ago in the Exhaust Thread that zathruss started: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
grisorosso
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
grisorosso

Agostini for GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agostini for GRiSO   Agostini for GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:33 am

The Ago pipe has a catcon, small and removable. Also a removable DBK.

To buy a pipe PHONE Nicola at Agostini. Simple and easy. Forget the website.
They don't charge your card until the pipe is SENT.

It took 3 days from Mandello Del Lario to my door in rural Tasmania.
Total cost was about $860Au for the stainless version of the hydroformed pipe, not the cheaper striaght one shown.

Dealing with Nicola was a pleasure, he speaks English very well and understands even better.
No speculation and no bullshit.
Back to top Go down
grisorosso
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
grisorosso

Agostini for GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agostini for GRiSO   Agostini for GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:41 am

wardest wrote:
I want one of those. I am working out how to source said pipe.
The Agostini Mandello web site not only sux but blows at the same time for anyone outside the EU.

Happy to be involved in map making etc

Mike

Mike, I replied to your PM 7 weeks ago to your request, with information on how to buy your pipe.
No answer was the stern reply.

What is there to working out how to source the pipe?
Telephone + credit card = pipe
Back to top Go down
The Saint
Biondino
Biondino
The Saint

Agostini for GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agostini for GRiSO   Agostini for GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:33 pm

Here's an interesting thought. One of the most popular mods on motorcycles is to replace the muffler. Clever chaps at MG put the cat in the can to make it easier for us noisy lot to get rid of it. Seemingly, it's a convenient place for it but not the best to ensure efficient operation of the cat system. The light off temp is somewhere around 250c and operating temp 450c +. Therefore placing it closer to the engine would be more appropriate. If MG thought that catcon was important they would have made sure it's harder to remove and ensured it's able to operate efficiently. The only reason it's there is to comply with the regulations.
The problem with catcons is the requirement for strict conditions so they can function as intended and for a long time. Otherwise the emissions coming out of the tail pipe may be worse than if there was no cat. For example, during warm up (15 to 20 min) they don't work and, running rich, miss fire, burning oil etc will produce nasty gases and eventually kill the cat. To satisfy this requirement, manufacturers have to run closed loop EFI to ensure the cat lives whether the engine likes it or not. And we often blame them for poor tuning. Every engine is different and some don't like to be forced to run 14.7:1AFR that the catcon needs, being the the ratio for most efficient combustion. And I think 8v in particular is not so pleased with the idea. Besides trying to achieve 14.7:1 while in closed loop (idle and part throttle), the EFI constantly trims it self slightly richer and slightly leaner either side of 14.7:1 so there is excess oxygen after combustion aiding the oxidation stage. Again it's for the cat and not for the performance nor the efficiency of the engine.
GRiSOs engine was obviously not designed to be an efficient A to B utility. Anyone who has done valve clearance adjustment  would have noticed rather large valve overlap. While this is good for ensuring all combustion gases are gone, some unburned fuel will inevitably escape into the exhaust. This, combined with a tune that GRiSO likes and running open loop, will probably kill the cat. Then the cat may take revenge and kill you with it's obnoxious gases and melt your beautiful new agostini.
My apologies for this long winded bed time story. What I'm trying to say is, who wants to have a hot, sensitive, selfish chemical reactor on their beautiful machine? If more exhaust back pressure is required there are cooler ways to achieve that and the GRiSO will love us for it.
Back to top Go down
The Saint
Biondino
Biondino
The Saint

Agostini for GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agostini for GRiSO   Agostini for GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:49 pm

Oh, and for all the tree huggers, to make you feel better...when the catcon works most efficiently the end product is mostly co2. Which happens to the biggest culprit in global warming, if you believe the current hype.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Agostini for GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agostini for GRiSO   Agostini for GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:10 pm

OK, Saint? Is the pipe you have ordered the hydro formed 'Horses Hoof' one or the one pictured in this thread? Also, Mike? Which one are you after?

If most people are looking at the one pictured we can do one of them first, if most want the hydro formed pipe we can get one of them.

It's important that we get what people want though as there is no point in building a map for a pipe nobody wants! Very Happy

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Agostini for GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agostini for GRiSO   Agostini for GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:57 pm

Maybe they both have the same flow characteristics. Suspect Rolling Eyes cheers Sleep

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Agostini for GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agostini for GRiSO   Agostini for GRiSO Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:33 am

Yup, there goes another squadron of pigs!

I just don't want to shell out for a pipe that only a couple of people want. I know that Michael Wynd has the Ago as pictured, if there are a couple of others and someone wants one I'll buy one. If its the Hydroformed one that people want I can buy one of those but if that's the one our Saintly pal has then I could buy the 'Official' accessory one and we could do a map for both if people want.

Thing is while I'm more than happy to do this if its going to be revenue neutral I can't afford, and neither can Mark, to go subsidising other people's hobbies to the tune of a grand a throw! I can't have that much songs tied up in something like a pipe I may never be able to sell.

Let me know.

Pete
Back to top Go down
The Saint
Biondino
Biondino
The Saint

Agostini for GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agostini for GRiSO   Agostini for GRiSO Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:08 am

Pete, I don't have the HF version. But, as Mark suggested, the flow will probably be the same.
Back to top Go down
The Saint
Biondino
Biondino
The Saint

Agostini for GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agostini for GRiSO   Agostini for GRiSO Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:16 am

HF is a beautiful pipe so I don't think you will have any dramas selling it on. I think most people would like the looks of it better than the version I've got. On the GRiSO I thought it looked too modern, or to suit a sports bike.

Anyway, if you don't want to risk buying it, use mine or grisorosso's HF at no cost to you. I'm sure that the additional donations will cover time and effort to build a map.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Agostini for GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agostini for GRiSO   Agostini for GRiSO Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:55 am

OK, so you have the one in the pics. Good-O, we'll start on that if you send it to me. As for the HF pipe we can do that too but I'll need someone else to phone Ago's because I simply don't have the time.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Guzziboy66
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Guzziboy66

Agostini for GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agostini for GRiSO   Agostini for GRiSO Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:54 pm

I have the Horse Hoof Hydroformed one. It has a cat installed. I'd like a map for it. Who do I send the paypal to? I'm a little preoccupied now as I'm changing jobs. I really appreicate all the work done here by beetle and pete. Thanks.

Eric
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Agostini for GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agostini for GRiSO   Agostini for GRiSO Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Agostini for GRiSO
Page 1 of 10Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next