GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Why a Guzzi

Go down 
+33
CPB
Olof
tocino
LBC Tenni
keenerkeen07
Blue
sidrat
Pete Roper
motomonster
Caedmon
Mr Griso
Canyon Carver
opc
stacius
spozzy
Ad B
rboe
guzziownr
Oz1200Guzzi
Scot p
Oca
Grisonut
beetle
DungeonMaster
guzziman62
AH Head
Landman
HOG4DNR
Street
GNORTS
Steak
Grisodude
37 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Grisodude
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Grisodude

Why a Guzzi Empty
PostSubject: Why a Guzzi   Why a Guzzi Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:55 am

Why did you choose a Guzzi?
Me I got into the British bkes in the late70's (that's a while ago) only about 18 years old.
Restored a 67 Triumph Trophy, learnt more about engines doiing that than any other time.
Saw a 83 California in a local bike shop and thought shit that's what the British didn't build.
Hooked from then on, did look at a Ducati once didn't take me.
Found a Guzzi 650SP and didn't buy it, which I regret but thats life.Go forward another 10 years and the Monza happened along.
Bought needed a make over as in just paint, as some had painted in what look like house paint and it only had 38,000 km om it.
What a heap of FUN it was, unreal had a Guzzi at last,sorry all pictures on that old thing called film.
Sold as all the mates had dirt bikes, spent about 5 years on a KTM 250 2 stroke, what a bike.
Anyway sold that and needed another Guzzi and a Cal came up in just the colours I liked.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
That Cal was with me for 5 years and what a cruiser/tourer just great, best hanlding cruiser out there.
But then I was on the internet as we do, and there was a GRiSO for sale.
Left it for a month as I was on holidays and guess what, price drop of $2000.00.
I'm there, misus said at one look BUY IT,and now it's ours.
So how did you choose a Guzzi/GRiSO

Harry
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

Why a Guzzi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why a Guzzi   Why a Guzzi Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:16 am

Hey Harry, I suppose everyone's story is as unique as Guzzis themselves.  I remember growing up in Southern California in the 70s where everyone with a bike in the neighborhood rode mostly Hondas, with some Yamahas, Suzukis and Kawasakis thrown in.

While visiting the home of one of my school pals, the Cracchiolos, I saw my first and only Moto Guzzi.  I couldn't tell you if it were an Eldorado or an Ambassador, but Angelo Vito's bike was decidedly different than all the other bikes in the neighborhood.  I never saw him ride it, but it sure looked cool sitting in the garage...  From that day forward, I always held Guzzis in the realm of exotic mystique.

Through my college years, I can never recall seeing another one, but the Moto Guzzi was always in the back of my mind.

Fast forward to moving up here to Seattle, I started seeing them around town and my interest was once again rekindled.  Around 2000 or so, I was getting antsy about getting on a bike again.  Fast forward to getting married, buying our house together, getting a dog and making a home here, the lure was on.  After turning 40 in 2005, I figured there was no time like the present.  That next month I went up to Moto International to have a look at some used bikes.  I had been reading in the moto mags about this new GRiSO model that was recently released and wanted to have a look.  Come to find they weren't being imported to the US yet, but they had a beautiful California Special Sport Aluminium on deep discount.  Brand new, but a model year holdover, I took it out for a test ride and bought it on the spot.  It was a great bike and of all the Californias, I still think it was the best looking iteration.  At least to my eye.

It didn't last too long though as the GRiSOs hit the US a year or so later.  In 2007 I traded the California in on a black GRiSO 1100 and I've never looked back.  Hey, I'm a GRiSO guy, even when I wasn't...

2003 California Aluminium up in Hyder, Alaska

GRiSO #1 - 2007 1100

GRiSO #2 - Another 2007 1100

GRiSO #3 - 2012 1200 SE Diavolo Nero

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Grisodude
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Grisodude

Why a Guzzi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why a Guzzi   Why a Guzzi Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:34 am

Hey Steak
Great story & pictures.We have a bit of a link.
Both had California's and sold to grab a GRiSO.
Anyone else have a story to share as this is always a topic as all are different.

Harry
PS Steak the paint job is awsome.
Back to top Go down
GNORTS
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
GNORTS

Why a Guzzi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why a Guzzi   Why a Guzzi Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:34 am

Steak and I have very similar GRiSO bio's.  I rode Hondas in college.  First a 250 Scrambler, then a 305 Super Hawk.  Then I discovered sailing, and went off in that direction.  Ended up selling sailboats, outfitting them, repairing them, and lived aboard a sailboat I owned for 19 years.  When my knees got too shot to enable me to maneuver safely on the foredeck, I sold the boat at age 58 and got to thinking about motorcycles again.  I'd heard of Moto Guzzi, and I had a friend back in my Honda days who had a Ducati 250 single (sweet little thing), but knew very little about Moto Guzzi.

I too stopped in to look at bikes at Moto International in 2005, and like Steak, ended up buying a California.  Mine was also a "remainder bike," a 2003 Stone.  I accessorized (farkled) the hell out of the thing, and rode it up & down the western US a couple of times.  Then the Guzzi marketing truck came to Seattle in 07, and I test-rode a GRiSO.  "No way," I thought, "The pegs are too high, not as much knee room as the Stone, but DAMN this thing is FUN!  I had already gone back to the Honda side, riding a 2005 ST1300 almost 30,000 miles, and with that great road machine in the garage, I traded the Stone on my 07 GRiSO, so I'd have a touring bike AND a hooligan bike!  Right...a 60-year-old hooligan.  

Fast forward to now.  Since I started riding again, I have also gotten married and bought an old 37-foot boat.  With a lot less time to ride, I recently decided I didn't need two motorcycles.  There was never any question as to which one I would keep.  The Honda sold quickly to another sixty-something, and the GRiSO stays in the garage, under its dust cover, waiting for me when I do get a chance to ride.  I have set it up with tailrack, bikini fairing and panniers, and it's a pretty good touring bike.  Not as comfy as the Honda, but good enough for the kind of riding I'll be doing in the foreseeable future.

When I do get the chance to ride the GRiSO (did I mention the Termignoni pipe?  I love that thing) after I get the bike (and myself) warmed up, I tend to ride the thing like I stole it.  60-something hooligan?  Goddamn right!Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Grisodude
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Grisodude

Why a Guzzi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why a Guzzi   Why a Guzzi Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:46 am

Hi Gnorts
This whats great about a thread like this, we find out about each other.
I love riding, surfing and guess what.
I think sailing is awesome,have a sailing deck, it's sit on type sail boat.
13 foot long, wife likes it as well so thats a plus.
Sailing to me is much like riding, sun ,wind and just you.
60-something hooligan?
Yep that's what it does to you but I'm a 50 something one. Laughing 
Regards
Harry
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

Why a Guzzi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why a Guzzi   Why a Guzzi Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:50 am

I see a pattern developing here. Like Steak and Gnorts, I went from an '04 California Stone to the GRiSO, but we kept the Stone and traded in Esther's 750 Nevada instead. I loved the Stone, but had been jonezin' for a GRiSO from the day I first saw a picture of one. I've told the story already of how I came to buy a used one with a thousand miles on it and I'm still in love with it forty thousand miles later. The only sad part of the story is that I had to part with my 1970 Ambassador to get the GRiSO. Being self-unemployed, cash is always hard to come by and the Nevada just wasn't going to be enough. I could also have sold my 1971 Honda CB 750, but the Ambo was more valuable so down the road she went. I still miss her, but maybe some day I'll have another one. Now the Stone is gone too, having been traded away to get Esther's new 1400 California. Part of that deal was supposed to be the sale of the aforementioned CB, but I'm hoping she'll forget and let me keep it.

Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
HOG4DNR
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
HOG4DNR

Why a Guzzi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why a Guzzi   Why a Guzzi Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:09 pm

For me I always wanted to ride something different from the masses. I started with BMW's, K75, K1, K1100RS, R1100RS, R1100R. Then came a few Ducati Monsters, great around town bike. Followed by a Guzzi Centauro and a 97 Sport 1100i (wish I never got rid of it). Throw in a Cagiva Gran Canyon and then a few years bikeless.

Saw the GRiSO and had to have it. Once I got the bosses OK picked up a 2012 1200 SE Tenni, then I was fortunate enough to have a customer who bought a 2013 Diavolo Nero (I like both paint schemes but loved the Nero) we switched bodywork, so I have a 2012 Diavolo Nero. Of course since I got a bike the wife had to get one also, so we picked up a clean 2000 Ducati Monster 900s. To this day she has only ridden it once, so basically I have two bikes.
Back to top Go down
Landman
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Landman

Why a Guzzi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why a Guzzi   Why a Guzzi Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:18 am

Growing up in Edmonton there weren't a lot of Guzzi's around, mostly just honda's and harley's - so the first Guzzi I saw was when Dad started bringing home Clint Eastwood movies. I was instantly smitten with the bikes the bad cops were riding in Magnum Force.
It wasn't until 2003 that I actually saw a Guzzi in person. I was driving my girlfriend home (who is now my wife) when I spotted a gentleman gassing up his Eldorado. I spun the car around and pulled in front of him as he was getting ready to ride away. I think I scared him when I jumped out of the car and started walking over, at least he had a pretty surprised look on his face... All a said was "that's an Eldorado!" and he smiled and turned off the bike. We chatted for a few minutes and I was hooked for good.
My first Guzzi was a 1200 Sport picked up on a fly and ride from Dave at MI, which was traded in for an NTX with the hopes that the NTX would be better two up and more suited to the roads around here. The NTX was big - and didn't make me smile the way the sport did. So the NTX hit the block, with the hopes of finding a Tenni GRiSO (which I am picking up in 6 days!). I still have a Quota I picked up in Phoenix last summer, and little brother rides a V7 Classic. I suppose we're a Guzzi family!
Back to top Go down
AH Head
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
AH Head

Why a Guzzi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why a Guzzi   Why a Guzzi Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:31 am

Congrats landman......... ever find yourself riding the SE in the Vancouver area..... let me know.
Theres a couple Greens here that would like to meet one of their family members...........

Cheers.......... rubber down.Cool 
Back to top Go down
guzziman62
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
guzziman62

Why a Guzzi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why a Guzzi   Why a Guzzi Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:07 pm

My first Guzzi was a 750 S3, I purchased it in Italy 25 years ago, later I could find a 750 S and 10 years ago I bought a 850 Le Mans 1 and a 850 Le Mans II. For my 40. birthday the present of my wife was an Astore from 1948 to restore (the bike is now restored) In 2001 I could buy very cheap from the swiss importer a new yellow 1100 sport because the bike was very difficult to sell at this time. My last deal was an exchange: a Laverda 750 SF in perfect conditions with a V7 850 GT a 250 Airone to restore and a Cardellino known as Guzzino. All the mentioned bikes are still in my garage where they probably will be for the rest of my life.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

Why a Guzzi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why a Guzzi   Why a Guzzi Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:30 pm

Bravo Guzziman! The Guzzi passion runs deeply in your soul. And a fortunate man to have a wife who supports such passion.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

Why a Guzzi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why a Guzzi   Why a Guzzi Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:53 pm

guzziman62 wrote:
My first Guzzi was a 750 S3, I purchased it in Italy 25 years ago, later I could find a 750 S and 10 years ago I bought a 850 Le Mans 1 and a 850 Le Mans II. For my 40. birthday the present of my wife was an Astore from 1948 to restore (the bike is now restored) In 2001 I could buy very cheap from the swiss importer a new yellow 1100 sport because the bike was very difficult to sell at this time. My last deal was an exchange: a Laverda 750 SF in perfect conditions with a V7 850 GT a 250 Airone to restore and a Cardellino known as Guzzino. All the mentioned bikes are still in my garage where they probably will be for the rest of my life.

NEVER let go of your SF.
I did and I hate myself to this day for that mistake.
Back to top Go down
guzziman62
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
guzziman62

Why a Guzzi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why a Guzzi   Why a Guzzi Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:00 pm

Dungeonmaster, I agree with you, but I had to make a choice and personally I prefer a Guzzi than a Laverda. In my eyes a Moto Guzzi is much more italian than a Laverda.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Why a Guzzi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why a Guzzi   Why a Guzzi Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:18 pm

The GRiSO is my first.

I didn't start until my mid twenties. I was into cars at first, and one day I woke up and decided to get a bike. In '91 I swapped my '74 Holden HQ ute with 350 chev donk for a ZZR-250.

I then went onto a GSX-1100E (1983 model IIRC). I added the fairing, and the bike ended a sky blue colour. Rolling Eyes

While I was riding this, I bought a 1100 Katana basket case. Literally several boxes of parts. The frame had been powder coated grey. I built it over approx 12 months, the only thing I didn't do myself was the paint.
That's my daughter on it. I rode it twice I think. Guys were clamouring to buy it. As we were living with the outlaws at the time, I sold it for enough to put a deposit on a house. Yay!

Then there were more Suzuki's. A GS1000G, GS1100G, GS1000S. I then had a bit of a break and in the early '00's, I bought a Yamaha FJ1100, or Battlestar Galactica as some of my so called mates called it. I called it my 200km/h arm chair. That bike was FAST. And comfortable.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.].

During all this one, a guy I knew bought a Le Mans Mk V. Man, I coveted that bike. My brother raved about Guzzi's (he rode Honda's at the time). I decided I was going to get one. Any one. Unfortunately, they were more expensive than the average Japanese bike, and owners weren't selling them. I tried my best to get an 850T or a 650 lario for a while, but money was tight and pickens were slim. Then one day I saw a photo of a 1000S. I was in love! MUST GET ONE!

Nope, no Guzzi for me.

Years later I had a GSX750 which I had in a moment of inspiration, decided to strip down to nothing for a total 'restore'. During that time I had a cancer scare. After not dying, I was contemplating life as one does in such times, and decided I was going to get my dream bike. I was in a financially better position, so I knew I could buy one. I saw the GRiSO. I had the same reaction as when I saw the 1000S. Yep, that's for me.

Oh, and the GSX750 is still in bits. Very Happy

cheers

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

Why a Guzzi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why a Guzzi   Why a Guzzi Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:32 am

When I was younger (18), we were riding fools and sometimes a cool dude rode with us on his Le Mans (don't remember the year) and none could keep up with him in the twisties. He was in his 30s and every year he toured Europe alone on this bike and was gone for a month.
He'd come back, go through the bike thoroughly and the bike was like new again.
Then he go tease kids like us to show them how it's done until his next vacation is up and he was gone again.

To me, this dude was like God and I said to myself that when I'm old if I'm still riding, I'll buy a Guzzi.
Well, fast forward to 2010 after my best friend decided to go back to the motorcycle scene, I just had to do the same.
I've been in the State since 1990 and never got a bike for fear of losing my license as the laws are stricter in the US.
I still wonder how I kept it with a 500hp car, lol.
Anyway, he was set on a Bimmer and when he asked me what kind of bike I wanted I couldn't help the smile, but true to my words some 25 years ago, I got that Guzzi!!! cheers cheers cheers 
Back to top Go down
Oca
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Oca

Why a Guzzi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why a Guzzi   Why a Guzzi Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:55 am

My answer is "why not a Guzzi?"
Back to top Go down
Grisodude
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Grisodude

Why a Guzzi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why a Guzzi   Why a Guzzi Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:54 am

Oca
My answer is "why not a Guzzi?"
How true

Harry
Back to top Go down
Grisodude
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Grisodude

Why a Guzzi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why a Guzzi   Why a Guzzi Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:47 am

Lots of new members here.
So come on Why a Guzzi.

Harry
Back to top Go down
Scot p
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Scot p

Why a Guzzi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why a Guzzi   Why a Guzzi Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:55 am

Why a Guzzi...

It's a tale of lusting after a wild nude Italian, however it wasn't a guzzi.....

Its the year 2000, I'm living the good life with my Honda VFR800fi , but still letting my eyes stray to the dirty bike mags, younger newer bikes trying to catch my eye, then it happened, Aprillia took the kit off a RSV Mille and called it a Tuono, I made the mistake of test riding one, the cash was a bit short so no new bike for Scot. Sad. Then a local online auction was selling off the importers demo Moto Guzzi V11 Le Mans.. I got it for a good price, cleaned it up, road it a bit, really liked it and was tempted to keep but as the wife said it was a money making project to get my dream bike, so 6 weeks of ownership earned me $4000, and a ongoing itch that only could be scratched with another guzzi...

I got the Tuono..it went through a few changes, this head down mode ..
Then sold it 8 years later...

Dabbled on a sachs Mad Ass, for a few months...

then went a little mad for a year..

And then traded the gixxer on..

The GRiSO was at a dealer in Adelaide , I live in Sydney, the only logical option was to do a 3 day weekend to pick up my new toy.. Love the GRiSO, I still miss the V11....

cya
Scot.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

Why a Guzzi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why a Guzzi   Why a Guzzi Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:08 am

Welcome to the ghetto Scot P, the white ones really are stunning GRiSOs...

Back to top Go down
Grisodude
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Grisodude

Why a Guzzi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why a Guzzi   Why a Guzzi Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:51 pm

I know I keep this re-posting this.
But all these new members must have a story.

Why a Guzzi

Harry
Back to top Go down
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

Why a Guzzi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why a Guzzi   Why a Guzzi Icon_minitime1Tue May 27, 2014 2:25 am

A little different but this was the vibe I got from the bike when I saw her in the showroom - couldn't say no to her  Very Happy :

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Another world, another time
In the age of wonder
Another world, another time
This land was green and good
Until the crystal cracked

Once more
They will replenish themselves
Cheat death again
The power of their source
The crystal

The crystal
The crystal
The power of their source
The crystal

Oh my God this is the best

Uh, I want you to trip like me, I want you to have fun
Me and you
Uh, I want you to trip like I do

Oh my God

I want you to trip like I do

Oh my God

Read more: The Crystal Method - Trip Like I Do Lyrics | MetroLyrics
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Why a Guzzi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why a Guzzi   Why a Guzzi Icon_minitime1Tue May 27, 2014 3:09 am

A long, long time ago, in another life...

I had a brace of BSAs - all 441cc singles - one was a genuine works MX bike (the Victor GP).

Bloke up the road had a Triumph Bonneville which he upgraded to a LM III

Beautiful noise - no music. I could hear him coming over the hills and changing down the gears as he came to various intersections. loved it - I would go out the front and he would pull up and we would chat for a few minutes.

This created a NEED for a Guzzi, but cashflow was really absent. Parked it (the desire) for years still wanting one but not in the financial state to do anything about it.

Chanced upon a BMW R80 with Staintunes - went alright but started costing money to repair. My wife said "Why don't you go and buy a new bike, one that you want?". Well, well, what a gem of a girl!

Immediately looked seriously at the then current offerings from MG and noted the absence of a LM in the lineup. However, I liked the look of the Sport, so...

In November 2007, "Black Betty" came to live at our house. My wife was in Melbourne at the time it was delivered and I had it a few days when she got back. It was parked on the grass, my wife came down the back steps, sat down and looked at it for about a minute and then uttered "It's Beautiful - but did you have to spend so much money?" Answer "Yes, it's what I want", reply "OK".

Progress with some airbox mods, new exhaust and now some superb mapping (thanks Mark) it is "da bomb".

Love it every day - in fact a keeper. Now to win lotto and get me a 1100 GRiSO and maybe a new California. Oh and a Bellagio, and a V7, maybe even a Monza. Love to get my BSAs back too!

I think I am going to cry now...
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

Why a Guzzi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why a Guzzi   Why a Guzzi Icon_minitime1Tue May 27, 2014 4:30 am

Your wife sounds as cool as mine.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Why a Guzzi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why a Guzzi   Why a Guzzi Icon_minitime1Tue May 27, 2014 5:02 am

She's a good girl - 1 in 10,000,000,000 - tres tres especiale
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Why a Guzzi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why a Guzzi   Why a Guzzi Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Why a Guzzi
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next