GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Guzzi GRiSO - Alabama Black Belt Day Ride 10-22-22

Go down 
+6
Grumpmister
Street
kiwi dave
rick pope
Richard
leafman60
10 posters
AuthorMessage
leafman60
Carlotto
Carlotto
leafman60

Guzzi GRiSO - Alabama Black Belt Day Ride 10-22-22 Empty
PostSubject: Guzzi GRiSO - Alabama Black Belt Day Ride 10-22-22   Guzzi GRiSO - Alabama Black Belt Day Ride 10-22-22 Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:38 am

October is a wonderful time of year.

I recall reading a letter once from a Georgia Confederate soldier to his family that was penned in October during the Civil War. He described the terrible conflict but he framed it under “those wonderful October skies, deep blue and cloudless.” Yesterday was one of those days and, after breakfast with everybody, I could not shirk the opportunity to devote the day to yet another day ride. This time I would be on my recently-acquired Guzzi GRiSO shod with a new pair of Michelin Pilot Power tires as well as sporting a new Mistral exhaust system. Wow.

As is typical, I headed north once again into central Alabama and through the Black Belt named for the rich dark soil there that so effectively supports the growth of fabulous cotton. This time around, I took some new roads of no particular note but amply entertaining with curves, hills and endless expanses of that rich white mantle created by unpicked cotton framed around the edges by the absolutely brilliant golds and reds of fall foliage.

The Guzzi is such a rewarding machine to ride. It tracking deftly and sure-footedly up and down the hills, curve left, curve right, around this cotton field, that cotton field and by those fields of neatly-baled hay, all the while under that deep blue sky in crisp temps that made my leather gear feel just right for the 400+ mile adventure. Only occasionally was this routine interrupted by passing through one of the many relics of old towns with their bright white buildings and elaborate churches from many decades ago.

When I backed off the Guzzi motor for a curve or town intersection, I would soon be rewarded by the awesome deep-tone sound of the V Twin pulling back to speed, all the while telegraphing those wonderful power pulses through its handlebars and footpegs. More than once, when not even necessary, I’d slack off the throttle to scrub some speed and then roll the throttle up in order to have one of those character-full experiences of the Guzzi big block twin laboring under acceleration. The Guzzi has not been sanitized into a silky smooth, church-quiet concoction laden with electronic gadgetry and accessories as typical of so many motorcycles produced today.

Those Michelin tires were my favorite when I had my R1200S BMW and they provide just as much corner traction and lean angle on this Guzzi. I rubbed the sides of my boots a time or two coursing the curves along the Alabama River south of Camden with never any hint of going past a reasonable limit of safety (well, for the most part anyway).

Prior to this trip, I was very cautious about pushing the GRiSO. Mileage was still in the break-in phase and the original tires still on the bike were out of date to the extent that I was concerned. This was my first foray without those considerations and I “let the big dog eat.” I am very impressed with the handling of the GRiSO.

Passing through Selma, I visited old friend and barbeque Master, Luverne Dallas, who was hard at work. He hopes we can get a group together soon and come to let him cook ribs for us. Says he'll set up chairs and tables for us. Luverne has moved to new digs across the street but still in sight of the Edmund Pettus Bridge and he is now cooking fried fish along with his usual BBQ fare. He had extra helpers but still swamped with customers.

I’ll spare everybody the comments on historical sites but there were many and they were very rewarding for me. Putting a twist on Yogi Berra’s commentaries, there are so many very famous and popular places that nobody knows about! I passed quite a few yesterday. One of those sites shown in the attached pictures is Saffold Plantation (Belvoir) discreetly located south of Selma. English naturalist, Philip Gosse, worked as a school teacher at this plantation in 1838 and wrote a detailed, first-hand account of plantation life that is standard reading for many historians of the Old South, Letters from Alabama….

Life is good, lots to see, bikes are fun. Get out there and do it!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by leafman60 on Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:40 am; edited 3 times in total

Bill Hagan, shuckinator, Richard, Groovitz and kindoy2 like this post

Back to top Go down
Richard
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Richard

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi GRiSO - Alabama Black Belt Day Ride 10-22-22   Guzzi GRiSO - Alabama Black Belt Day Ride 10-22-22 Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:13 am

Thank you for sharing cheers
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi GRiSO - Alabama Black Belt Day Ride 10-22-22   Guzzi GRiSO - Alabama Black Belt Day Ride 10-22-22 Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:37 pm

Nice dialog and pics. Thanks for sharing.

I didn't get a chance to ride the GRiSO this weekend, but I did get to spend a few hours in the saddle of one of my tenants' John Deeres, planting wheat on the home place. But alas, it doesn't lean......
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi GRiSO - Alabama Black Belt Day Ride 10-22-22   Guzzi GRiSO - Alabama Black Belt Day Ride 10-22-22 Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:36 pm

I recognize the Gas-Diesel sign shown in the third image.  Where is this sign's location?

Very nice GRiSO in the second image and later images.  I'm envious! Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
leafman60
Carlotto
Carlotto
leafman60

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi GRiSO - Alabama Black Belt Day Ride 10-22-22   Guzzi GRiSO - Alabama Black Belt Day Ride 10-22-22 Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:26 am

kiwi dave wrote:
I recognize the Gas-Diesel sign shown in the third image.  Where is this sign's location?

Very nice GRiSO in the second image and later images.  I'm envious! Thumbs Up

Hi, Dave! It ain't New Zealand.  That's in a small community, Orrville, west of Selma Alabama USA. I think that sign is just a home-made job.

By the way, that second pic that you mentioned, the red Guzzi next to the old red International tractor, I intended to caption it "Different nationalities but similar DNA."

Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi GRiSO - Alabama Black Belt Day Ride 10-22-22   Guzzi GRiSO - Alabama Black Belt Day Ride 10-22-22 Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:39 pm

leafman60 wrote:

By the way, that second pic that you mentioned, the red Guzzi next to the old red International tractor, I intended to caption it "Different nationalities but similar DNA."

I have an old International of that same model, plus it's older brother, a Farmall Super "A", that Grandpa bought in 1949. I much prefer the GRiSO.

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi GRiSO - Alabama Black Belt Day Ride 10-22-22   Guzzi GRiSO - Alabama Black Belt Day Ride 10-22-22 Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:26 pm

Nice write-up and pics. Thanks for posting!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
leafman60
Carlotto
Carlotto
leafman60

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi GRiSO - Alabama Black Belt Day Ride 10-22-22   Guzzi GRiSO - Alabama Black Belt Day Ride 10-22-22 Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:14 pm

rick pope wrote:
leafman60 wrote:

I have an old International of that same model, plus it's older brother, a Farmall Super "A", that Grandpa bought in 1949.  I much prefer the GRiSO.

Thanks. You have good taste and I'd like to see a pic of the '27 Henderson!

Back to top Go down
Grumpmister
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Grumpmister

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi GRiSO - Alabama Black Belt Day Ride 10-22-22   Guzzi GRiSO - Alabama Black Belt Day Ride 10-22-22 Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:17 pm

Great write up. Reminded me of my trip to the States in March. We visited Montgomery taking in the amazing history. We hired a Harley for two weeks ( would have preferred a Guzzi!), covering 4,k in 14 days. We travelled along the back roads as much as possible. Alabama was beautiful. Fond times.

leafman60 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Spalders
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Spalders

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi GRiSO - Alabama Black Belt Day Ride 10-22-22   Guzzi GRiSO - Alabama Black Belt Day Ride 10-22-22 Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:10 pm

Looks a great ride... I've just got back to the UK from the classic weekend at Barber Museum in Birmingham.. were you there?

Back to top Go down
https://www.neilspalding.com/
leafman60
Carlotto
Carlotto
leafman60

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi GRiSO - Alabama Black Belt Day Ride 10-22-22   Guzzi GRiSO - Alabama Black Belt Day Ride 10-22-22 Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:39 pm

Spalders wrote:
Looks a great ride...   I've just got back to the UK from the classic weekend at Barber Museum in Birmingham.. were you there?

No, I wasn't at the Birmingham thing. I was busy riding ! lol

Back to top Go down
leafman60
Carlotto
Carlotto
leafman60

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi GRiSO - Alabama Black Belt Day Ride 10-22-22   Guzzi GRiSO - Alabama Black Belt Day Ride 10-22-22 Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:40 pm

Grumpmister wrote:
Great write up. Reminded me of my trip to the States in March. We visited Montgomery taking in the amazing history. We hired a Harley for two weeks ( would have preferred a Guzzi!), covering 4,k in 14 days. We travelled along the back roads as much as possible. Alabama was beautiful. Fond times.
I love Harleys, have 4. I like any big twin that shakes Wink

Grumpmister likes this post

Back to top Go down
daviscr5
Carlotto
Carlotto
daviscr5

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi GRiSO - Alabama Black Belt Day Ride 10-22-22   Guzzi GRiSO - Alabama Black Belt Day Ride 10-22-22 Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:58 am

Thanks for the story and pics! Most of my riding buddies don't get my affinity for Guzzis. I have 2 - an 04' V11 and the GRiSO. They're just special, nothing like them!

Bill Hagan and Grumpmister like this post

Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi GRiSO - Alabama Black Belt Day Ride 10-22-22   Guzzi GRiSO - Alabama Black Belt Day Ride 10-22-22 Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:20 am

Somehow missed this when you first posted it.

Nicely done.

Ah, Michelin Pilot Powers.  When I corded a MPR4GT on my GRiSO's rear in Kentucky last year, the YamaHonSuzKaw dealer only had a Power on the shelf.  I was in no position to quibble over dollars or tire life, so they spooned it on.

I think the Road versions are just fine for the likes of me, even when I stray into Rossi-wannabe territory out of poor planning or red mist.  But, yee ha, that Power was -- note use of past tense -- rubber nirvana.

Astonishingly sticky in all conditions, wet, dry, and everything in-between.  

Regrettably, its confidence-inspiring traction coupled with my ... erm ... fighting weight  Rolling Eyes and uncontrolled throttle hand made quicker work of it than I can afford.

I often say that I don't care about mileage, with performance in the sense of safety is paramount.  That is less true now that I have enjoyed the Powers. Not being a trust-fund baby or married rich, I would amend my view to "I don't care AS MUCH about mileage; performance in the sense of safety is paramount.  Wink

I rode my GRiSO yesterday in the quest of two ADVR moto-tags south of here.  Scored one; failed in the other.  I feel sorry for folks who have never experienced the visceral sensation that comes while riding a motorcycle on fun and challenging backroads on a grand fall day.  And, at least for those incurably smitten with the incurable Guzzi Syndrome, perhaps a GRiSO more than most others. Makes it easy to understand what T.E. Lawrence meant about the joy of a riding a "skittish motor-bike with a touch of blood in it."     cheers

The only thing that might have improved yesterday's ride would have been having my sweet beast shod with Powers instead of Roads.   Very Happy   Of course, that could have meant an unwanted roadside discussion of the " Yes, Officer; I understand" sort.   Sad

Finally, I sure envy your long riding season -- virtually 365 -- down there, which is about the only reason I miss living in downtown Atlanta instead of here at the top of Virginia.  

Best,

Bill

beetle and kindoy2 like this post

Back to top Go down
leafman60
Carlotto
Carlotto
leafman60

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi GRiSO - Alabama Black Belt Day Ride 10-22-22   Guzzi GRiSO - Alabama Black Belt Day Ride 10-22-22 Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:55 pm

Bill Hagan wrote:

Nicely done.

Ah, Michelin Pilot Powers.  When I corded a MPR4GT on my GRiSO's rear in Kentucky last year, the YamaHonSuzKaw dealer only had a Power on the shelf.  I was in no position to quibble over dollars or tire life, so they spooned it on.

I think the Road versions are just fine for the likes of me, even when I stray into Rossi-wannabe territory out of poor planning or red mist.  But, yee ha, that Power was -- note use of past tense -- rubber nirvana.

Regrettably, its confidence-inspiring traction coupled with my ... erm ... fighting weight  Rolling Eyes and uncontrolled throttle hand made quicker work of it than I can afford.

I often say that I don't care about mileage, with performance in the sense of safety is paramount.  That is less true now that I have enjoyed the Powers.  Not being a trust-fund baby or married rich, I would amend my view to "I don't care AS MUCH about mileage; performance in the sense of safety is paramount.  Wink

I rode my GRiSO yesterday in the quest of two ADVR moto-tags south of here.  Scored one; failed in the other.  I feel sorry for folks who have never experienced the visceral sensation that comes while riding a motorcycle on fun and challenging backroads on a grand fall day.  And, at least for those incurably smitten with the incurable Guzzi Syndrome, perhaps a GRiSO more than most others. Makes it easy to understand what T.E. Lawrence meant about the joy of a riding a "skittish motor-bike with a touch of blood in it."     cheers

The only thing that might have improved yesterday's ride would have been having my sweet beast shod with Powers instead of Roads.   Very Happy   Of course, that could have meant an unwanted roadside discussion of the " Yes, Officer; I understand" sort.   Sad

Finally, I sure envy your long riding season -- virtually 365 -- down there, which is about the only reason I miss living in downtown Atlanta instead of here at the top of Virginia.  

Best,

Bill

Bill, long time, no see. Last time we met, we were at Riders Hill and had my Stelvio. Glad you're still riding and I've been back on WG lately. Great pics that you posted too. Virginia is spectacularly beautiful in the fall.

Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi GRiSO - Alabama Black Belt Day Ride 10-22-22   Guzzi GRiSO - Alabama Black Belt Day Ride 10-22-22 Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:20 am

leafman60 wrote:
Bill Hagan wrote:

Best,

Bill

Bill, long time, no see. Last time we met, we were at Riders Hill and had my Stelvio.  Glad you're still riding and I've been back on WG lately.  Great pics that you posted too. Virginia is spectacularly beautiful in the fall.

Howdy.

Yes, it's been awhile.  Hard not to dab an eye over the demise of Riders Hill.  

Think we both were last together at about the same time at the W.V. Guzzi rally in Pipestem in 2016.  

If ever up this way -- Cross Junction, Va. -- stop in.

Bill

leafman60 likes this post

Back to top Go down
leafman60
Carlotto
Carlotto
leafman60

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi GRiSO - Alabama Black Belt Day Ride 10-22-22   Guzzi GRiSO - Alabama Black Belt Day Ride 10-22-22 Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:14 am

I've been neglecting the GRiSO lately, waiting on upgrade parts, working on other bikes, taking care of Christmas stuff, on and on. I'll have the red bird back on the road pretty soon.
Back to top Go down
Gootzibird13
Biondino
Biondino
Gootzibird13

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi GRiSO - Alabama Black Belt Day Ride 10-22-22   Guzzi GRiSO - Alabama Black Belt Day Ride 10-22-22 Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:34 am

leafman60 wrote:
Bill Hagan wrote:

Nicely done.

I often say that I don't care about mileage, with performance in the sense of safety is paramount.  That is less true now that I have enjoyed the Powers.  Not being a trust-fund baby or married rich, I would amend my view to "I don't care AS MUCH about mileage; performance in the sense of safety is paramount.  Wink

Best,

Bill

Bill, long time, no see. Last time we met, we were at Riders Hill and had my Stelvio.  Glad you're still riding and I've been back on WG lately.  Great pics that you posted too. Virginia is spectacularly beautiful in the fall.

Yes Bill, I too have just dibbled now into the power 5 set of grippers and already had some testing in a bit of rain and cooler riding temps on these new skins. Quite a jump up from my normal pick of Angel STs. A total of 200+ clams difference in cost. They are in fact very sticky indeed, paired up F and R even more so. Just the shortness of breaking in time let me know that I will be lucky to get 3000 miles out of them. But what the heck, one time at the highest echelon has already proved to be a hoot beyond "normal" traction. Good times....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi GRiSO - Alabama Black Belt Day Ride 10-22-22   Guzzi GRiSO - Alabama Black Belt Day Ride 10-22-22 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Guzzi GRiSO - Alabama Black Belt Day Ride 10-22-22
Page 1 of 1