GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Project Moto

Go down 
+9
Richard
Pete Roper
Deepdive
Brappadappl
PilotJet
NC Guzzi Rider
el capitan
bioman
IamSpartacus
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
IamSpartacus
Carlotto
Carlotto
IamSpartacus

Project Moto Empty
PostSubject: Project Moto   Project Moto Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:20 pm

I recently picked up an '07 GRiSO 1100 with a salvaged/rebuilt title for what I'm hoping turns out to be a good deal. Paid $2,000 (USD) for it, but there's work to be done. First off, it's been re-keyed as the PO lost the originals and of course didn't know the 5-digit user code... I did a lot of reading on that issue both here and other forums—enough to know not to invoke the wrath of Pete by asking a question about it, or comment about what a PITA this "feature" is, lol. I tried all the usual suspects (VIN, Engine #, service #, 0's, and other simple sequences) but no joy, so I'll be shipping it off to Carmo to get that headache sorted. It also needs a front fender, headlight, turn signals, a bunch of random bolts and other bits and pieces. Bodywork has a few cracks and paint is chipped and scratched, so at some point I'll probably sand her down, repair with fiberglass or bondo, and repaint (DIY, not a pro paint shop—I can afford Guzzi, not Gucci). I hate that process, but this will be the 4th bike I've rebuilt and repainted (first a Suzuki GS500, then a Buell Cyclone and a Triumph Sprint RS).

First mods for now though are the stock seat and muffler. Seat was already recovered and very cracked, so I peeled that off and then re-contoured the pillion to a more cafe/Corbin shape. Will recover in brown leatherette for a more retro aesthetic. The pipe that came with the bike obviously isn't stock, nor is it any model worth keeping. It's light (maybe ~5lbs), but no markings or brand on it, nor does it have a dB killer in it. Otherwise in decent shape though. I'm opting for an OEM R Nine T Akrapovic dual exhaust because I haven't seen it done before, it wasn't expensive, and I think it matches the dual headers nicely. It'll take some tinkering to get it fitted and though it has stock dB killers, they aren't the tradition design (sleeves rather than a plug), so I might have to tinker some more to get them to perform well with Beetle's map. Anyway, should be a fun project and though it's less power and torque than either my Buell or Triumph was, I suspect it may turn out to be my favorite so far. It's just so... Italian, lol.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

enghira, Oz1200Guzzi, Bill Hagan, moto, Richard, Pawel Spoon, Svartipants and tinker like this post

Back to top Go down
bioman
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bioman

Project Moto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Moto   Project Moto Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:43 pm

That is an interesting project!! I am looking forward to see the progress and final result.

Back to top Go down
el capitan
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
el capitan

Project Moto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Moto   Project Moto Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:04 am

Congrats to what seems to be a rewarding project - and not too expensive to begin with either. What is the mileage? If you have to replace the indicators you could swap to affordable LED ones as well. My 4W brushed aluminum running light indicators [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] work without resistors (and DO NOT glow with ignition off), set me back 100 EUR for all four and by cutting off and modifying the black stems (where the mounting screw sits) I could install them quite easily.

Last edited by el capitan on Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:18 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : further info)
Back to top Go down
NC Guzzi Rider
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
NC Guzzi Rider

Project Moto Empty
PostSubject: GRiSO Parts Hamlin Cycles   Project Moto Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:27 am

Hey , Great project bike. At 91,000 miles my 07 started blowing oil out through the rings. Rings no longer available, I contacted Stiene/Dense? I'm sure that's misspelled. And they had the oil ring and gaskets at a reasonable price, but not the other rings. Hmmm... what to do. Cylinder ,piston kit about $ 700 per side. Hmmm... I called Jim Hamlin ,he had a crate 2 valve 1100 engine never used. As it turned out he was going to be in our area so I gave him the bike and now I have a new engine in my 07. My point is there are no parts available from Guzzi. Your mid exhaust pipe will crack,if you don't have GOOD welder in your back pocket your up the creek, they aren't available. The turn signals are the same as the Buells , Ha Ha go to a Harley dealer to get your Guzzi parts.. I've probably got close to 300,000 miles on Guzzis and the GRiSO has been my Favorite. Our closest dealer has good intentions but limited experience . Jim's shop is like 500 miles from us but he is the best on the Eastern Seaboard. Sooo I guess my point is if you need parts or think you may need something the internet i.e. Ebay is going to be your best bet. Or if you're near Hamlin's Cycles in Connecticut USA. call them for Help , Jim also has sold us new bikes at a competitive price.

Back to top Go down
PilotJet
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PilotJet

Project Moto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Moto   Project Moto Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:06 am

NC Guzzi Rider wrote:
The turn signals are the same as the Buells , Ha Ha go to a Harley dealer to get your Guzzi parts..

Hey, thanks for pointing that out. I did not know that. Way Cheaper and much easier to find.
Back to top Go down
IamSpartacus
Carlotto
Carlotto
IamSpartacus

Project Moto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Moto   Project Moto Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:52 pm

El Capitan: Not sure of the mileage yet as the dash is security locked out. It's been sent off to Carmo Electronics in the Netherlands to hack into the EEPROM and reprogram the 5-digit user code to new keys ($360). I'll need 4 blinkers, but not sure if I'll go the LED route or not. I've done LED on other bikes with resistors and haven't had any problems though.

NC Guzzi Rider: I'm in western Montana, so I'm used to not having access to dealers, parts, or even civilization, lol. Good to know about the Buell crossover though if I happen upon them.
Back to top Go down
IamSpartacus
Carlotto
Carlotto
IamSpartacus

Project Moto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Moto   Project Moto Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:12 am

Found some time to recover the seat. Vivid vinyl leatherette.

Back to top Go down
el capitan
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
el capitan

Project Moto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Moto   Project Moto Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:24 pm

It is time for pics! Laughing
Back to top Go down
IamSpartacus
Carlotto
Carlotto
IamSpartacus

Project Moto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Moto   Project Moto Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:35 pm

Wasn't 100% sure if I would like the brown seat on a black bike, but I think it was worth taking a chance on.

The fender was toast, and difficult to find an OEM replacement, so I snagged a red one from an 05 Tuono (it'll get painted).

Last edited by IamSpartacus on Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

80CX100 likes this post

Back to top Go down
el capitan
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
el capitan

Project Moto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Moto   Project Moto Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:00 pm

I wanted all brown for my black 1100 first, but ended up with this: [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Your Guzzi is coming together nicely! BTW, do you intend to get rid of those orange/red "accents" or will you keep her like that? The exhaust you got her with looks very similar to an Ipothesys, quite a rare bird from Italy.

IamSpartacus likes this post

Back to top Go down
IamSpartacus
Carlotto
Carlotto
IamSpartacus

Project Moto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Moto   Project Moto Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:20 pm

The whole bike will be repainted at some point, without the red accents. Will go either satin black, or satin black and satin silver. That's a summer project though (if I'm lucky).
Back to top Go down
IamSpartacus
Carlotto
Carlotto
IamSpartacus

Project Moto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Moto   Project Moto Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:37 pm

So I finally got my dash back from Carmo and reinstalled it. Had to get the two new keys they programmed to it then sent to AF1 to get them cut. The good news is I now have a functional user code, so I finally can get past the security lockout (yay!). However, the new keys don't seem to actually be programmed to the dash as it asks for the user code every time I insert them. So programming them is next up. I now know that the bike has around 16,000 miles on it though, which ain't bad for an '07.

I also finally received two new spark plug covers from Elk Grove power sports. Took over three months (special order from Italy), but only paid $5 each rather than $90 each on fleabay. Yeah, this is going to be a long project, lol.

Pawel Spoon likes this post

Back to top Go down
Brappadappl
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Brappadappl

Project Moto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Moto   Project Moto Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:58 am

Wow, what a fun project! I have also been trying to come up with an affordable and attractive 2-1-2 exhaust and also landed on the R nine T exhaust for the same reasons. What is the difference in diameter?Let us know what you come up with to connect them!
Back to top Go down
Deepdive
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Deepdive

Project Moto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Moto   Project Moto Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:19 am

How about this? tailor made. Got one myself

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Ed
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Project Moto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Moto   Project Moto Icon_minitime1Mon May 01, 2023 5:05 am

Deepdive wrote:
How about this? tailor made. Got one myself

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Ed

Back in 2006 that unit was made by a mob, or at least marketed as a Lavizarri. I had one on my 1100, with the dB killers in it worked well but was very crack prone at the Siamese joint of the two megaphones. Without the dB killers it was horribly, horribly loud with a harsh, grating note that gave me a headache in minutes. Also that was back in the days before anybody had cracked the W5AM and remapping wasn't possible so the only options were a Power Commander, which I tried but it was crude and caused a host of secondary issues, or a series of 'Sensor Foolers' which were even worse and potentially more damaging.

When I got my 8V in 2008 I tried the Lavizarri on it as I do love the look. It was awful. All the problems of the early factory map were exacerbated and multiplied by about a factor of five! The Lavizarri went with the 1100 and the new owner immediately pulled the baffles out and told me it 'Sounded Horn!' Before he rattled and popped and farted off into the distance. I felt like an adulterer. Sad

kindoy2 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Deepdive
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Deepdive

Project Moto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Moto   Project Moto Icon_minitime1Mon May 01, 2023 6:47 am

Have not a single issue with this beautiful pipe. Performance is ok. But hey, have no reference. This is my first bike. (only 15 years 2 stroke vespa's) No pops and bangs. Took me 6 months to get it from Palermo.
Back to top Go down
IamSpartacus
Carlotto
Carlotto
IamSpartacus

Project Moto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Moto   Project Moto Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:38 am

Was working on a house for many months, but winter is here and I've spent some time on the GRiSO again:

-Polished the header pipes (OMG, so much time)
-Found a used OEM 8v muffler (the R Nine T pipe is a cool option though if I ever get an adapter made)
-Replaced the hand grips for chocolate Builtwell Torkers
-Bar end mirrors
-Repainted the valve covers (black)
-Repainted all red accents black
-Installed new turn signals (LED)
-Renewed the faded black plastics with Penetrol (old Jeep trick)
-Replaced Tank badges with black variant
-Replaced broken or missing foot pegs with Aprilia Shiver/Mana touring front and rears (with springs)
-Fixed headlight

Nobleswood and 80CX100 like this post

Back to top Go down
Richard
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Richard

Project Moto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Moto   Project Moto Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:23 pm

Great job Thumbs Up it looks like you saved GRiSO
Back to top Go down
Tim Henry
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Tim Henry

Project Moto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Moto   Project Moto Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:37 am

I just took off a pair of thoe grips they melted in the florida sun in a matter of 2 weeks J&P took them back and I adapted Bikemaster Revolvers and am pleased maybe in your climate they wont melt but the goo got on everything from gloves to helmet visor by far the worst item I've ever put on a bike but they looked cool
Back to top Go down
Tim Henry
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Tim Henry

Project Moto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Moto   Project Moto Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:40 am

Back to top Go down
IamSpartacus
Carlotto
Carlotto
IamSpartacus

Project Moto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Moto   Project Moto Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:14 pm

Got the Aprilia front fender sanded, primed, painted, and clear coated as well as a few other odds 'n ends. I actually prefer the Aprilia unit over the original... more muscle and attitude, lol.

Richard - Thanks!

Tim Henry - Sounds like a defective batch... A lot of good reviews on the Torkers with no mention of turning into the Wicked Witch of the West in heat... I even bathed them in a 200+ degree dye bath to get a darker brown and they were not soft at all.

GhostBullet likes this post

Back to top Go down
Tim Henry
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Tim Henry

Project Moto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Moto   Project Moto Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:21 pm

Goo is what they turned to JP said that's cause they're gum rubber I said Bull .
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

Project Moto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Moto   Project Moto Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:15 pm

I put the big muff on my '07 as well. The stocker's guts fell apart. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
IamSpartacus
Carlotto
Carlotto
IamSpartacus

Project Moto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Moto   Project Moto Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:48 pm

Well, I finally replaced inner and outer plugs, air filter, and oil and oil filter and tried to start her up. No joy. She turns over freely, and catches sometimes if I goose the throttle, but if it starts at all, it only does so momentarily before dying. Any thoughts on what I should investigate?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Project Moto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Moto   Project Moto Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:03 pm

Have you checked whether your actually getting consistent spark? Are the injectors firing properly? GuzziDiag can be used to test both.

Phase sensor might be bad.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

lcjohnny and kindoy2 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Sponsored content

Project Moto Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project Moto   Project Moto Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Project Moto
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next