GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Dash going dark, solved!

Go down 
+8
bioman
kindoy2
Kel
ratso88
eighteight
Pete Roper
beetle
Gaucho
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Gaucho
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Gaucho

Dash going dark, solved! Empty
PostSubject: Dash going dark, solved!   Dash going dark, solved! Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:37 am

Hello guys,
When I bought my GRiSO, the dash screen had developed a dark spot in the center of it, to the point that was almost impossible to read the speed and other parameters like mileage.
Doing some research on the forum, I decided that as soon as I could afford it, I was buying a new dash.
Well, not long ago a new dash shows on eBay and it was priced really low. I pulled the trigger and bought it.
Dash arrives, original Guzzi package, looks good.
Moment of true: remove old dash, hook up new one, lights are on... Enter code message, I entered "00000" and "code incorrect" appears...
I then tried the service code, no dice. Bottom line, the dash was new but it seems somebody already paired it to a bike and change the code.
I called the seller, of course he didn't have the code, he just bought a bunch of parts from a closing dealer and was unloading them. To be fair he also offered to accept a return if I couldn't make it work.
So today I decided that I would take apart the new dash and see how difficult was to remove the screen part of it.
Pretty straight forward process, I did split the dash, remove the speedo needle using two spoons, carefully removed the dash background and unscrew the electronics from the dash backing plate.
Inspected the screen and found it was connected using a standard flat wire multi pin connection.
Removed the screen, it came in one piece. You have to be careful because the screen is secured by three collapsable tabs. This was the real bitch of the whole job.
Now with the new screen in hand I repeated the process with my existing dash. Pretty nerve wrecking knowing the dash is working and the bike running with no issues.
Install the new screen on the old dash. Put everything back together. Plug into the bike, turn the key on and..... Success!!!
Everything is ok and I can see the dash now.
I still have to reseal the dash transparent front plexiglass to the backing plate, tomorrow I'm buying clear silicone in order to do that.
Overall, I'm extremely happy with the results.
You can see in the pictures how the old screen look like and now working like new, the way is supposed to be.
I hope this helps other forum members.
Best regards,
Gaucho

Gaucho[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

beetle, okuraner, Oz1200Guzzi, Bill Hagan, moto, JohnA, lcjohnny and like this post

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Dash going dark, solved!   Dash going dark, solved! Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:41 am

Good job!

cheers

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!

waterbottle and GreyGyr like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Dash going dark, solved!   Dash going dark, solved! Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:50 am

That's excellent. Where did you get the screen from?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Dash going dark, solved!   Dash going dark, solved! Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:04 am

Pete, you might want to read the post again.

Very Happy

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Dash going dark, solved!   Dash going dark, solved! Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:03 am

Whoops!

Bill Hagan and lcjohnny like this post

Back to top Go down
eighteight
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eighteight

PostSubject: Re: Dash going dark, solved!   Dash going dark, solved! Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:19 am

Gaucho, that took guts !
Congrats on a successful surgery

Bill Hagan, lcjohnny and Gaucho like this post

Back to top Go down
ratso88
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ratso88

PostSubject: Re: Dash going dark, solved!   Dash going dark, solved! Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:20 am

Wow !

Excellent result.

Any manufactures info/part number on the removed panel?
Long shot but it just might be available from the generic OEM or aftermarket suppliers.

The "two spoons" kinda cracked me up. I totally get it. Use what you have, make it work.

A++ effort.

Bill Hagan, GreyGyr and Transplant like this post

Back to top Go down
Kel
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Kel

PostSubject: Re: Dash going dark, solved!   Dash going dark, solved! Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:04 pm

Another fine example of the value of the ghetto.

Gaucho likes this post

Back to top Go down
kindoy2
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
kindoy2

PostSubject: Re: Dash going dark, solved!   Dash going dark, solved! Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:58 pm

congrat's! fiddly stuff there.

Last edited by kindoy2 on Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bioman
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bioman

PostSubject: Re: Dash going dark, solved!   Dash going dark, solved! Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:22 pm

That must have been a nerve-wrecking operation!! Congrats!!

Back to top Go down
Gaucho
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Gaucho

PostSubject: Re: Dash going dark, solved!   Dash going dark, solved! Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:09 pm

ratso88 wrote:
Wow !

Excellent result.

Any manufactures info/part number on the removed panel?
Long shot but it just might be available from the generic OEM or aftermarket suppliers.

The "two spoons" kinda cracked me up. I totally get it. Use what you have, make it work.

A++ effort.

This is what I found on the old screen:

Dimensions are 75 mm wide and 60 mm tall.
Hope this helps.
Gaucho
Back to top Go down
whitmire
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
whitmire

PostSubject: Re: Dash going dark, solved!   Dash going dark, solved! Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:05 am

Hello Gaucho,Congrats on your dash surgery. So after reading about this operation can I assume that you have a cherry dash lens left over?? I have the original dash from my 1100 GRiSO that works perfectly but has some physical damage to the lens from a mishap earlier in its/my life. I haven't tried to disassemble it so am unfamiliar with that procedure. Would your lens be for sale? If so what's the price?
Back to top Go down
Gaucho
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Gaucho

PostSubject: Re: Dash going dark, solved!   Dash going dark, solved! Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:05 am

whitmire wrote:
Hello Gaucho,Congrats on your dash surgery. So after reading about this operation can I assume that you have a cherry dash lens left over?? I have the original dash from my 1100 GRiSO that works perfectly but has some physical damage to the lens from a mishap earlier in its/my life. I haven't tried to disassemble it so am unfamiliar with that procedure. Would your lens be for sale? If so what's the price?

Hello,
I used the new lens on my old dash. When the lens was out, I compared them side to side, and it was evident that the sun damage was not limited to the screen but to the Plexiglas also. I was able to see some discoloration easily.
Gaucho

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
BowraBoy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
BowraBoy

PostSubject: Re: Dash going dark, solved!   Dash going dark, solved! Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:22 am

Well done mate!
Back to top Go down
ratso88
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ratso88

PostSubject: Re: Dash going dark, solved!   Dash going dark, solved! Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:19 pm

Thanks for the P/N info.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Dash going dark, solved!   Dash going dark, solved! Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:49 pm

I have the same issue on my 07...
Like a dumb ass, I parked the bike where the sun hit the dash dead on. lol
I always put my gloves there but never really paid attention to covering the entire square screen part and it was my mistake.
Now I make sure that my gloves are laying flat and cover the damn thing.
Some Aprilias (Tuono) in the same years, used a very similar dash. I wonder if the screen plug might match and plug in...
Anyway, I'll have to get serious about finding a unit to borrow the screen quartz from.

Thanks for the post Gaucho

Gaucho likes this post

Back to top Go down
SemperVee1
Carlotto
Carlotto
SemperVee1

PostSubject: Re: Dash going dark, solved!   Dash going dark, solved! Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:32 pm

Good On Ya!! Love a story with a Happy Ending!
Back to top Go down
BowraBoy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
BowraBoy

PostSubject: Re: Dash going dark, solved!   Dash going dark, solved! Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:45 pm

Grisonut,

I had the same thing as you (overheating from sun) and Pete Roper provided me with the solution. I think it involved disconnecting the battery, tying the pos and neg terminals together, inserting the key and turning it to ignition on and leaving it like that overnight. Next morning, take the key out having turned the ignition to off, reconnect the battery and all is sorted.

That said, I may not be 100% accurate in my recollection so please just touch base with Pete first.

Todd
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Dash going dark, solved!   Dash going dark, solved! Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:39 pm

BowraBoy,
Thanks, but not sure I want to bug Pete with this...
At least this thread shows that if you buy a dash, you can burrow the screen from a used unit and therefore, not worrying about the user code since you only need said screen.
The challenge is finding a unit at a decent price or a buggered one on the outside from a wreck for example
I'll be on the look out for one...

Gaucho likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Dash going dark, solved!   Dash going dark, solved! Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:46 pm

I think Todd's issue was different. In his case the LCD had just blanked out, as in stopped working, rather than having been sun damaged. In that case I think it was a boot issue. Whatever sorcery is involved in the dash booting up something had gone wrong. By strapping the battery leads together and leaving the ignition on overnight, or at least for an extended period of time, seems to allow whatever capacitors there are in the unit to discharge and in doing so makes the dash *Forget* whatever glitch it is in the boot process it is that prevents it working.

It won't work every time but it's always worth a try. The 'Big black spot' in the screen is another issue all together.

kindoy2 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Dash going dark, solved!   Dash going dark, solved! Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:54 am

You're right Pete... Mine is definitely burned in the middle.
About a 4cm circle in fact. It ain't a black out of the whole dash...
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Dash going dark, solved!   Dash going dark, solved! Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:10 am

For the information of Oz riders one of my customers, Mike Sutherst, had the dreaded burnt dash issue and sent his dash off to this person.

$200AU and it came back good as new! cheers

beetle and Clancy like this post

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Dash going dark, solved!   Dash going dark, solved! Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:13 am

Wow! Excellent!

cheers

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Dash going dark, solved!   Dash going dark, solved! Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:26 am

He said he'd 'Opened' the dash but sent it complete, (I think?). I'm assuming that meant he'd taken the main, outer, screen off but I'm not certain, (I can ask.) but really given most dashes, car or bike/whatever, are 'Sealed for life' I'd imagine she is used to taking these things apart.

If anyone is interested I'll call her and ask for the full run down?
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Dash going dark, solved!   Dash going dark, solved! Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:21 pm

Interesting Pete.
Goes to show... when there's a will, there's a way.
My main issue is that I don't want to incapacitate the bike for too long and also, I'm on the other side of the world. lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dash going dark, solved!   Dash going dark, solved! Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Dash going dark, solved!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next