GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

What did you do with your GRiSO today?

Go down 
+89
Hacky
MrGPz
H-E-ROSS
GNORTS
Laker
MrBob
nev
king Rich
paulbrice
derby
Cereal KLR
pensieromalvagio
Andy in NZ
bahamazoo
Lemppari
supercoyote
cbxtc6
Lenz9753
WCB
Daves-i-Know
KevinEmpire
jexmatex
diedel
ruzellio
Earl of Portchester
HLMiskelly
MalG
little750
wardentm
handyandy
opc
Blue
keenerkeen07
Guzzi Cat
eric2186
fredfrenzy
LBC Tenni
motomonster
WAKEY
Phang
Bill Hagan
Tassiedevil71
bioman
Josh.C
mark111
blue thunder
Oz1200Guzzi
joecool
Fissionmaker
jomartijr
Chaipaval
Ralf z
Trknomo
sidrat
Guzzi Two Shoes
Conor W
NorthernProducer
Grisodude
Wet Coaster
The Saint
waterbottle
Converted Duc
Birch
beetle
Canyon Carver
Grisonut
rboe
Ad B
tocino
Enzo the baker
pokeyjoe
Street
Steak
DungeonMaster
GHTE
Gr8V
f-man
Omnis
Tolle09
Triman023
CPB
Pete Roper
Tod.
wyno
Overholt13
Guzziboy66
plantboy
Charlie J
93 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

What did you do with your GRiSO today? - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What did you do with your GRiSO today?   What did you do with your GRiSO today? - Page 18 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:21 am

Well, it wasn’t today, but a few days ago.

Have been besieged by houseguests; no time to play in the Moto Grappa.  Latest set left after breakfast, and more company comes in a few days, so I better get back down there to putz before it’s housecleaning time again.

And, naturally, what I do down there is a bit short of slapping a Cal 14 top end onto a GRiSO 12 bottom!

But it keeps me out of all sorts of trouble, and is fairly harmless.

The two pix show my latest mod.  Pretty technical stuff there, so attempt this only after studying the manual.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Anyway, I like ‘em.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Hagan on Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jexmatex
Carlotto
Carlotto
jexmatex

PostSubject: Re: What did you do with your GRiSO today?   What did you do with your GRiSO today? - Page 18 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:24 am

Hey bill. I do t get what you mean, but i line your rear fender any reference for it ?
Thx by advance
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: What did you do with your GRiSO today?   What did you do with your GRiSO today? - Page 18 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:41 am

jexmatex wrote:
Hey bill. I do t get what you mean, but i line your rear fender any reference for it ?
Thx by advance

Howdy.

Supposing you mean the hugger.

If so, it's from here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I like its looks, but, IMO, it does little real protection of shock, etc.  For that, I use one of these: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Think theres a thread on those here somewhere.

Best from the top of Virginia,

Bill
Back to top Go down
jexmatex
Carlotto
Carlotto
jexmatex

PostSubject: Re: What did you do with your GRiSO today?   What did you do with your GRiSO today? - Page 18 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:58 am

Thxs Bill for you input Smile

Best from France ^^
Back to top Go down
Enzo the baker
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Enzo the baker

PostSubject: Re: What did you do with your GRiSO today?   What did you do with your GRiSO today? - Page 18 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:44 pm

After two weeks of nagging sciatica I finally felt like a ride. Rode up to Miami AZ and stopped at a little grotto for some reflection.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: What did you do with your GRiSO today?   What did you do with your GRiSO today? - Page 18 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:28 am

Well, I finally slipped some new shells into my lump today. New rod bolts, reassembled, filled with oil. Hit the button after priming with the plugs out, plugs back in and vroom!

Haven't ridden it yet but at least it isn't clanking any more. It's still louder than most later 8V's even after the rollerisation but at least the clank of death is gone.

Pete
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: What did you do with your GRiSO today?   What did you do with your GRiSO today? - Page 18 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:54 am

Pete not sure if anyone has asked this b4 but ...why didn't Guzzi just start off with the rollerisation on the early 1200 scratch
Was it more expensive to manufacture or ...........
Back to top Go down
WCB
Biondino
Biondino
WCB

PostSubject: Re: What did you do with your GRiSO today?   What did you do with your GRiSO today? - Page 18 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:08 pm

A better question is, when they realized that the tappets had failure issues, why didn't they pre-emptively replace them with the rollers before they failed and wrecked engines?
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: What did you do with your GRiSO today?   What did you do with your GRiSO today? - Page 18 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:45 pm

WCB wrote:
A better question is, when they realized that the tappets had failure issues, why didn't they pre-emptively replace them with the rollers before they failed and wrecked engines?

That is a better question....
Back to top Go down
Guzzi Cat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Guzzi Cat

PostSubject: Re: What did you do with your GRiSO today?   What did you do with your GRiSO today? - Page 18 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:03 pm

Bill Hagan wrote:
Well, it wasn’t today, but a few days ago.

Have been besieged by houseguests; no time to play in the Moto Grappa.  Latest set left after breakfast, and more company comes in a few days, so I better get back down there to putz before it’s housecleaning time again.

And, naturally, what I do down there is a bit short of slapping a Cal 14 top end onto a GRiSO 12 bottom!

But it keeps me out of all sorts of trouble, and is fairly harmless.

The two pix show my latest mod.  Pretty technical stuff there, so attempt this only after studying the manual.

Anyway, I like ‘em.

Bill

Hey Bill, a nice little touch with the Italian flag stickers Thumbs Up The old man cave is a great place to potter around and play with the man toys, as for the Cali 14 top end why bodge a bike that has a sweet engine already, Theres plenty of torque and power for me in the GRiSO, more interested in keeping her running reliable. Laughing
Back to top Go down
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

PostSubject: Re: What did you do with your GRiSO today?   What did you do with your GRiSO today? - Page 18 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:25 pm

Yeh, I like em too Bill, nothing wrong with cleaning,polishing and tithing him up.
Cheers
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: What did you do with your GRiSO today?   What did you do with your GRiSO today? - Page 18 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:05 am

WCB wrote:

I have a theory about this. It's just a theory but I'll throw it out there.

Guzzi management had just about everything riding on the 8V motor. At that time they could not have envisioned the success that the V7 and its variants we're going to garner. The 8V was the great white hope and I wouldn't be surprised if the Piaggio management gave them some sort of ultimatum.

IMHO I think there never was a design flaw with the first iteration tappets. I think it was purely a manufacturing fault. Some, not all, of the early chilled cast iron tappets failed due to poor production practice. The tappets used in development bikes would all of been made to strict tolerance that was guaranteed and checked. Unfortunately, once they had proven the spec they were put out to tender and they probably took the lowest bidder.

Poor hardening, (Coupled with the over cooling issues.) led to failures and my guess is panic ensued!

The answer was to try an unproven and risky technology in the hope that the super-hard DLC coating would prevent failures while still allowing use of the main top end architecture. It didn't. In fact in certain markets it actually made things worse!

By now the hair-tearing would of become frenzied and I would guess a few heads rolled but it was realised by early 2010 that a radical solution was needed. They changed supplier for the tappets one more time but by 2010 they knew categorically that failures would continue, aided and abetted by the lousy service standards in most workshops world wide. Unfortunately the 8V isn't 'Stupid-Proof'!

Thing is they couldn't afford to call the problem out. It would of been the end of the company. So while the roller top end was being developed and trialled  they kept sell img machines they KNEW were failure prone in certain circumstances. (That, if true, pisses me off a lot!) but the 'Smoking Gun' is there in the markings on the cylinder heads of post mid 2010 bikes which indicate that the valve springs are shimmed to cope with the extra mass of the roller lifters! They had a solution in mind, (One that seems to be 100% effective at the cost of a slight loss in overall efficiency.) and they KNEW that if they added the shims to bikes if they later failed it would reduce the cost of replacing the flats with a roller set up.

It took a further two years though for the roller system to be available and it was first rolled out, (Sorry, unintentional pun.) on the next great white hope, the Cali 1400.

While it seems they are now doing the semi-decent thing and offering an upgrade to people with a full service history, (And I have no problem with that.) it continues to gall me that there is a conspiracy of non disclosure. Nobody, especially us poor saps in the workshops at the *Pointy End* are told nothing more than you, the punters, are. It makes it very, very difficult and is one of the reasons I've invested so much time and effort personally to try and get to the bottom of the matter.

Do note that this is all supposition.i have no *Evidence* to support this theory but? If it walks like a duck? Quacks like a duck? It probably isn't a three toed sloth.....

Pete
Back to top Go down
Tolle09
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Tolle09

PostSubject: Re: What did you do with your GRiSO today?   What did you do with your GRiSO today? - Page 18 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:03 am

Interesting stuff, what codes on the heads would indicate the shimming ?
Back to top Go down
WCB
Biondino
Biondino
WCB

PostSubject: Re: What did you do with your GRiSO today?   What did you do with your GRiSO today? - Page 18 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:12 am

Pete Roper wrote:
WCB wrote:

I have a theory about this. It's just a theory but I'll throw it out there.

Guzzi management had just about everything riding on the 8V motor. At that time they could not have envisioned the success that the V7 and its variants we're going to garner. The 8V was the great white hope and I wouldn't be surprised if the Piaggio management gave them some sort of ultimatum.

IMHO I think there never was a design flaw with the first iteration tappets. I think it was purely a manufacturing fault. Some, not all, of the early chilled cast iron tappets failed due to poor production practice. The tappets used in development bikes would all of been made to strict tolerance that was guaranteed and checked. Unfortunately, once they had proven the spec they were put out to tender and they probably took the lowest bidder.

Poor hardening, (Coupled with the over cooling issues.) led to failures and my guess is panic ensued!

The answer was to try an unproven and risky technology in the hope that the super-hard DLC coating would prevent failures while still allowing use of the main top end architecture. It didn't. In fact in certain markets it actually made things worse!

By now the hair-tearing would of become frenzied and I would guess a few heads rolled but it was realised by early 2010 that a radical solution was needed. They changed supplier for the tappets one more time but by 2010 they knew categorically that failures would continue, aided and abetted by the lousy service standards in most workshops world wide. Unfortunately the 8V isn't 'Stupid-Proof'!

Thing is they couldn't afford to call the problem out. It would of been the end of the company. So while the roller top end was being developed and trialled  they kept sell img machines they KNEW were failure prone in certain circumstances. (That, if true, pisses me off a lot!) but the 'Smoking Gun' is there in the markings on the cylinder heads of post mid 2010 bikes which indicate that the valve springs are shimmed to cope with the extra mass of the roller lifters! They had a solution in mind, (One that seems to be 100% effective at the cost of a slight loss in overall efficiency.) and they KNEW that if they added the shims to bikes if they later failed it would reduce the cost of replacing the flats with a roller set up.

It took a further two years though for the roller system to be available and it was first rolled out, (Sorry, unintentional pun.) on the next great white hope, the Cali 1400.

While it seems they are now doing the semi-decent thing and offering an upgrade to people with a full service history, (And I have no problem with that.) it continues to gall me that there is a conspiracy of non disclosure. Nobody, especially us poor saps in the workshops at the *Pointy End* are told nothing more than you, the punters, are. It makes it very, very difficult and is one of the reasons I've invested so much time and effort personally to try and get to the bottom of the matter.

Do note that this is all supposition.i have no *Evidence* to support this theory but? If it walks like a duck? Quacks like a duck? It probably isn't a three toed sloth.....

Pete

Makes perfect sense to me. Unfortunately for me, that no matter what goes on with the damn things, I am enamored by them. I still wouldn't trade the GRiSO or the Stelvio for anything. The bottom line is that they are still incredible machines. When the Stelvio engine finally needs to be rebuilt, I'll probably do that rather than get rid of the thing. If it turns out that the GRiSO needs extensive work from this, I'm positive Jacquie will want to do it. I started mentioning that maybe she should trade it in for a new one and I didn't even get the sentence out of my mouth and she said "nothing doing". Smile
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: What did you do with your GRiSO today?   What did you do with your GRiSO today? - Page 18 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:23 am

There are four update kits. A,B,C & D.

D only applies to Sport 1200.

Pre 2010, A5 and early A8 motors require the C kit. This is the one that includes the head gaskets, valve spring shims and seals, manifold gaskets, plastic unicorn and xylophone. OK, it doesn't include the last two.

From somewhere in the middle of 2010 they started adding the shims, (I think this coincided with the last flat tappet change but can't really remember.) and for these engines you need the B kit which is an easy swap, the heads stay on. B kit engines have a drill mark in the paint near the manufacturing date stamp. This is simply a shiny dot in the paint but is clearly visible. Mark's bike is a B kit bike, I'll take photos when we rollerise it.

The A kit is the same as the B kit apart from the fact it is for the later engines with the 'Floating' valve covers with the thicker neoprene gasket between the rocker cover and the cam box rather than the tube and o-ring used on the earlier engines. Due to that change there is no need for other identifying marks and those engines don't need the valve shims etc.

Pete

PS, I'm off to bed but I'll offer my opinion on your post a bit later Doug, when I wake up at 3.00AM, like I always fucking do! Grrrrrrr.
Back to top Go down
Tolle09
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Tolle09

PostSubject: Re: What did you do with your GRiSO today?   What did you do with your GRiSO today? - Page 18 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:16 am

Is it probable that the late Sports, mines a '13, will have flat tappets ?
Back to top Go down
Phang
Biondino
Biondino
Phang

PostSubject: Re: What did you do with your GRiSO today?   What did you do with your GRiSO today? - Page 18 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:38 am

Pete Roper wrote:

PS, I'm off to bed but I'll offer my opinion on your post a bit later Doug, when I wake up at 3.00AM, like I always fucking do! Grrrrrrr.

It's 3:38am Pete, wake up! Basketball
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: What did you do with your GRiSO today?   What did you do with your GRiSO today? - Page 18 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:00 am

Tolle09 wrote:
Is it probable that the late Sports, mines a '13, will have flat tappets ?

ALL 1200 Sport-8V's are flat tappet.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: What did you do with your GRiSO today?   What did you do with your GRiSO today? - Page 18 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:17 am

WRT Doug's comments on the 8V? They are very close to mirroring mine. I like almost everything about it. From its simplicity and ease of maintenance all the way through to the way it performs. I think the entire motive unit and driveline is superb for a road bike. It has more than adequate power and the fact that it is used in so many different platforms just goes to show what a flexible unit it is?

I've always liked SOHC engines, they have always seemed to me to be a decent compromise between ease of maintenance and lower reciprocating weight in the valve train. The Hi-Cam design used by Guzzi is just another charming bit of oddball quirkiness.

From here I think the next generation of power plants from Noale will almost certainly be 'Water' cooled, more powerful and if the Capponord 1200 is anything to go by completely devoid of character! Luckily I expect that parts for my G8 will be available for as long as I am able to ride it. For me it is as close to the perfect motorbike as makes no odds. I won't be changing my aliegence any time soon and while I'm happy for time and technology to march on and I steadfastly refuse to turn into one of the sad, ranting, dinosaurs who say 'Guzzi hasn't made a decent motorbike since......' (Insert date of first heart bypass operation or rectal prolapse here!) and will be interested in the technological advancements it is the still raw and slightly unfinished nature of the 8V that gives it such visceral charm.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: What did you do with your GRiSO today?   What did you do with your GRiSO today? - Page 18 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:42 am

Good theory Pete, me likey - but then I am expert in not very much! The engine in the 1200 Sport is the A7, I believe. What the difference is, fucknose.

I should be asleep but the sleep fairies failed to deliver again. May have something to do with a big fatty meal last night, surrounded by copious amount of black beer. Farts are awesome though!
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: What did you do with your GRiSO today?   What did you do with your GRiSO today? - Page 18 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:09 pm

You know your getting old when your dreams get drier and your farts get wetter
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: What did you do with your GRiSO today?   What did you do with your GRiSO today? - Page 18 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:45 pm

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:
The engine in the 1200 Sport is the A7, I believe. What the difference is, fucknose.

Different cams.

The Sports are also geared differently.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
WCB
Biondino
Biondino
WCB

PostSubject: Re: What did you do with your GRiSO today?   What did you do with your GRiSO today? - Page 18 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:00 pm

You know, while up at the dealer picking up Jacquie's GRiSO this weekend, I was looking long at the Capo Rally. I want to like it. It seems to be a really nice bike, but I just can't bring myself to even ride the thing. One of the things I love about the Guzzi's and the Stelvio is the ease of maintenance and I'm sure the Capo lacks the character of the Stelvio. The character of the Stelvio is most endearing to me. The motor is engaging, the handling way better than it should be.

I'm sure the Capo is a very competent motorcycle, but I find that I just don't care. There are plenty of competent motorcycles. If that was all that was important to me, I'd by a Yamaha Super Tenere. Unfortunately for me, the Guzzi V twin just "does it" for me.

I love my Ambo, Jacquie's V1000 Cafe', the Ballabio all for different reasons, but the Guzzi 8v truly is a wonderful thing. Guzzi got me, and there's nothing to be done for it.

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: What did you do with your GRiSO today?   What did you do with your GRiSO today? - Page 18 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:09 pm

The Cappo is an unholy prick of a thing to work on and riding one is like being beaten with an over-cooked cabbage leaf. They are fast as and handle well and you can play with the suspension and tri map and TC etc. but I really find them hugely uninteresting. They aren't a bad bike, just not for me. How they could design something as spectacular as the V4 and then something as boring as the Cappo I have no bloody idea!

Pete
Back to top Go down
tocino
Nibbio
Nibbio
tocino

PostSubject: Re: What did you do with your GRiSO today?   What did you do with your GRiSO today? - Page 18 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:18 pm

Finished putting the Penske shock on (and getting the airbox back on and reconnecting various hoses and what not. Whew!).
Only got to ride it around the block; initial impression is that it feels firmer but not as harsh over bumps - and this without changing any of the settings it was delivered with. So many adjustments...
The additional height (12mm) is noticeable both visibly in the way the bike sits and how it feels sitting on it. Turns quicker.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What did you do with your GRiSO today?   What did you do with your GRiSO today? - Page 18 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

What did you do with your GRiSO today?
Page 18 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 40  Next