GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

8V overcooling project

Go down 
+21
evansnows
Doc.
Brian675
rsmike
Kiwi_Roy
ecs
GregC
Pete Roper
Lazlokovacs
ratso88
OldMojo
Mbeach
Clancy
kiwi dave
Brent S
waterbottle
sideshowbob
Guzzi Cat
Oz1200Guzzi
bahamazoo
beetle
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Doc.
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Doc.

8V overcooling project - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8V overcooling project   8V overcooling project - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:17 pm

I would say a Temp Gauge of some sort is essential on any Oil Cooled Engine.
I can't imagine many people would be happy running a Water-Cooled Bike (or car) without a Temp Gauge, so why do we put up with it on an Oil Cooled Bike?

They're not too expensive, or difficult to fit.
Back to top Go down
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

PostSubject: Re: 8V overcooling project   8V overcooling project - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:10 pm

temp gauge is indeed a good idea, see my previous post about my workshop being all crated up at present.. This is a temporary fix...

Doc. likes this post

Back to top Go down
ErikdeBrabander
Carlotto
Carlotto
ErikdeBrabander

PostSubject: Re: 8V overcooling project   8V overcooling project - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:04 am

beetle wrote:

The ECU monitors engine temperature and intake air temperature. The only way to monitor the engine temp is via some sort of OBD tool. The only two that work with Guzzi are GuzziDiag and ScanM5X. ScanM5X is good because it's an Android app, and you can use a phone. Only works with the 5AM ECU.

The ambient air temperature sensor is part of the dash electronics. It only for rider use. It's not used in any way by the ECU. You can see it via OBD too. However, having it display engine temperature would require re-programming the dash and ECU software. Or a 3rd party dash.

The stock ETS isn't all that accurate, due to its location. Meaning, the measured temperature isn't necessarily the actual engine temp. The accuracy of the actual sensor isn't in question. I relocated mine because I could. The 1400 barrels have a better location. There's a resistance v temperature chart in the service manual.

I monitor the oil temperature coming from the sump to the cooler.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Weeding through this interesting thread I noticed this post regarding scanM5X. If it's android based it could be usefull when applied to Carpuride display:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I've been searching for a workable navigation solution and noticed this display mirroring the cellphone screen.

Since I am on a learning curve regarding this topic and understand a thermostat is recommended, is the temp gauge position described here for "research" or is this location good for a "consumer" shameless copy?
My GRiSO is at the mechanic right now nearing the completion of rollerise mod and have no good visual how to intergrate a thermostate in correct plumbing but Having 8K on the dash makes it still worth adding this item.

Thank you for highlighting this topic!

Kind regards, Erik
Back to top Go down
Doc.
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Doc.

PostSubject: Re: 8V overcooling project   8V overcooling project - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:41 am

ErikdeBrabander wrote:
. . . is the temp gauge position described here for "research" or is this location good for a "consumer" shameless copy?
My GRiSO is at the mechanic right now nearing the completion of rollerise mod, and have no good visual how to integrate a thermostat in correct plumbing but Having 8K on the dash makes it still worth adding this item.

Thank you for highlighting this topic!

Kind regards, Erik

I would say the Sump is the best location for a Temp Sensor, that's where the bulk of the Oil is during running.
Having the Sensor in the Oil draining back down from the Heads would, I think, give a false view of Oil Temps.
It will be plenty hot enough at that point, but only for a few seconds, the Sump Temps could still be much lower than ideal.

As for the actual 'plumbing' of the Thermostat, I'd just copy Mark's set-up, all done with off-the-shelf parts as I recall.

ErikdeBrabander likes this post

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: 8V overcooling project   8V overcooling project - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:57 pm

As I've previously mentioned, I don't see any point in monitoring the actual engine temperature via the ECU. The location of the ETS combined with the ECU ADC and somewhat dubious voltage converter will never be pinpoint accurate.

The Carpuride would be great for Navigation, if you've got room for it. Using it with Scan5mx would provide some very interesting data like GPS speed, gear position, fuel consumption, throttle position, lambda, air pressure, and both intake and engine temperature.

As for oil temperature? Monitoring as it goes into the oil cooler would be best I think. I had it going into the cooler and out of the cooler, but that's just me being me.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

ErikdeBrabander likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: 8V overcooling project   8V overcooling project - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:10 pm

Wow, 5yr anniversary on this and it hasn't blowed up yet, SUCCESS

Doc. likes this post

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: 8V overcooling project   8V overcooling project - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:59 pm

Oh ye of little faith!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Doc.
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Doc.

PostSubject: Re: 8V overcooling project   8V overcooling project - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:58 am

Why would it 'blow up' Steve, we're all sensible and mature adults here . . .  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: 8V overcooling project   8V overcooling project - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:41 am

Just a phrase as to nothing happened detrimental to the motor from adding the regulator. I was watching this when Beetle was installing on his bike. Not a naysayer, factory should have done this before production.
Back to top Go down
Doc.
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Doc.

PostSubject: Re: 8V overcooling project   8V overcooling project - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:31 am

Ah, I thought you meant that this Topic/Thread hadn't blown up!  Laughing

It is sort of an Oil Thread after all . . .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 8V overcooling project   8V overcooling project - Page 5 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

8V overcooling project
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5