GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

What tyres for the 8V.

Go down 
+69
Gootzibird13
JohnA
Holger
Tim Henry
Converted Duc
lcjohnny
CrazyBiker
BBB888
Oz1200Guzzi
kiwi dave
rick pope
Leone
BobW981
motor-timothy
cognosticator
george5421
klaas123
Dolebludging warmonger
Birch
Papa Lazarou
MrGPz
moby
Street
Silverfox
petarzil
Brent S
Grade247
EricS
2highlander
bahamazoo
Charlie J
Stu400
paulbrice
wardest
keenerkeen07
Pete Roper
blue thunder
Omnis
tocino
cbxtc6
Bill Hagan
SuperSimo
waterbottle
GUZ21
frizzit
dskustoms
sidrat
Josh.C
mark111
Mr Griso
plantboy
griso8v
pauldaytona
Chriso
Phang
drw916
guzziownr
rustyrotor
Uzidzit
Ad B
TalkingGriso
Grisonut
cytocycle
beetle
Steak
DungeonMaster
wyno
jollyjeweller
73 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

What tyres for the 8V. - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:26 pm

Watched the "Captain Smug" clips. Watched several of them actually. Almost became quite addictive to watch truth be known. The bloke looks like he's barely older than a foetus, yet he seems quite knowledgeable. Could be totally full of shit, but he's at least done his homework and remembers his lines.

Quite interesting what he says about the Pirelli Angel GT.........effectively a sport tyre dressed up as a touring tyre, and prone to squaring off unless you ride hard and get decent lean angles. That last bit sort of counts me out! He mention the Angel ST is simply an older version of the GT and is shit......make of that what you will.

New Metzeler Roadtec 01 gets good wraps too. Didn't know that Metzeler and Pirelli essentially share the same production facilities.
Back to top Go down
moby
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
moby

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:34 am

I've got Roadtech 01's and find they lighten steering, are good for roll-in accuracy compared to Dunlop Roadsmarts. Have faith in their ultimate traction, but haven't pushed to the envelope. I'll be replacing with same.
Back to top Go down
MrGPz
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
MrGPz

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:55 pm

Hello,
After quite good 1000K ride i returned home yesterday with a flat rear tyre,
Original Metzler Z8 Interact at 8,500 Kays.
So it's not worth repairing, especially with tread at close to minimum.
So, looked at Michelin Road Pilot 4 GTs $750 a set
or, Michelin Power RS on special at $538 a set.
Reading up about the RS sounds good, the pic of them looks like not enough tread for water drainage.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Comparison only compares to other sports tyres.

Any comments??

I need to organise these ASAP, so they can be fitted by Friday, as we have another extra long weekend coming up
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:31 am

$750NZ for PR4's? Shocked

Ay, Caramba!

Suspect

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:33 am

moby wrote:
I've got Roadtech 01's and find they lighten steering, are good for roll-in accuracy compared to Dunlop Roadsmarts. Have faith in their ultimate traction, but haven't pushed to the envelope. I'll be replacing with same.  

Roadtech's would seem fine for hotter places...for colder climes, the grip is awful in the wet.
Back to top Go down
MrGPz
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
MrGPz

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:50 am

Papa Lazarou wrote:
moby wrote:

Roadtech's would seem fine for hotter places...for colder climes, the grip is awful in the wet.

I don't have a comparison to the Z8s yet.
They will give a small slide in heavy rain with surface water, not sure anything would not slide in those conditions. Down to 3'C dry, the Z8s are fine, not sure about wet performance, at that temperature
Back to top Go down
MrGPz
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
MrGPz

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:52 am

beetle wrote:
$750NZ for PR4's? Shocked

Ay, Caramba!

Suspect

Roadtec 01 $691 per set
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:15 am

The MRS were new to me and sounded interesting.  

Looked 'em up.  Saw this: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I care most about performance, i.e., saving me from my own stupidity affraid , but am very curious how long they'll last.

Also wonder a bit about sidewall flex and support for ...erm ... heavier riders. Rolling Eyes

Bill
Back to top Go down
EricS
Biondino
Biondino
EricS

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:16 am

EricS wrote:
I just spooned on a set of Scorpion Trail II's. Essentially Angel GTs with deeper tread for improved mileage and durability on big twin Adv bikes like the Multistrada. Only had one ride before frigid temps and snow returned but initial reaction is they're stable with nice roll into corners. Will be a couple more weeks before I can give them a proper breaking in.

Have put a few hundred miles on these and am happy with the performance on both my daily suburban commute and weekend rides. I don't push too hard so I can't comment on ultimate corner grip. I can tell you they are very good in the rain and rough or gravel roads. Braking is strong and they inspire confidence when touring at 8/10ths pace. Too early to tell about wear.

These are not super sticky sport tires but are working quite well for commuting and sport touring duties on 40-60 mph 2-lane roads and 70-80 mph highways.
Back to top Go down
Birch
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Fri May 12, 2017 12:36 pm

I have a squared off Perelli after about 5,000 mi. Unfortunately a lot of my riding is slab riding since I'm in Chicago.

What would be a decent performing tire that is squaring off resistant? The Scorpions?
Back to top Go down
http://jasonedwardphoto.com
EricS
Biondino
Biondino
EricS

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Sat May 13, 2017 6:41 am

Birch wrote:
What would be a decent performing tire that is squaring off resistant? The Scorpions?

The Scorpion II is a dual compound tire that should offer better tire life due to the harder center compound. I like them on my bike but with only 500 miles I can't comment on longevity. You can read up on it here: Revzilla review
Back to top Go down
MrGPz
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
MrGPz

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Sat May 13, 2017 9:01 pm

Made the decision to put on the Michelin PR4
Then went out and did 500ks.

First 100ks in dry and then the rest in pouring rain.

first impression is that they didn't let me down at all. Road conditions were from dry to water sluicing across the road.

Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Sat May 13, 2017 9:05 pm

MrGPz wrote:

first impression is that they didn't let me down at all. Road conditions were from dry to water sluicing across the road.

GREAT CHOICE....I love mine and i think they are going to last ,what psi are you running ?
Back to top Go down
MrGPz
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
MrGPz

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Sat May 13, 2017 9:17 pm

keenerkeen07 wrote:
MrGPz wrote:

GREAT CHOICE....I love mine and i think they are going to last ,what psi are you running ?

38/36
If they last as long as advertised they will be great
Back to top Go down
Dolebludging warmonger
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dolebludging warmonger

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:43 pm

I use Pirelli Angel GT. I'm getting 15 - 20 k out of front and back and they stick like shit to a blanket.
Back to top Go down
klaas123
Biondino
Biondino
klaas123

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:38 pm

Dolebludging warmonger wrote:
I use Pirelli Angel GT. I'm getting 15 - 20 k out of front and back and they stick like shit to a blanket.

Confirmed, love them!
Back to top Go down
EricS
Biondino
Biondino
EricS

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:23 am

I read somewhere that the Scorpion II's use the same carcass as the Angel GT but have a different, deeper tread for light off-road use. At 1200 miles there's no sign of wear front or back.
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:58 am

I like the Angel ST's not tried the GT's, currently running the sportier Diablo Rosso II's as they are on offer, however i dont like the wear of the front tyre with the GRiSO, it may be a bit heavy for the tyre. When it's new it steers beautifully, but that drops off after they are half worn, no drop in grip though.

The Angel's seem to suit the bike better, probebly designed for a pig with lipstick, however the rear didn't last any longer that the Rosso II's

This is the milieage i have been getting - I do like to go fast around corners :-)

Rear Diablo Corsa II 3.950miles,
Rear Angel ST 3,900 miles
Front Diablo Corsa II 7,850 miles
Rear Diablo Corsa II 4,200 miles
Rear Diablo Corsa II 4,200 miles
Front Diablo Corsa II 6,090 miles

The current rear has 1100 miles on it and the front 3,700 miles and i want to change it soon.

So in the 20,000 miles the bike has done, including the original tyres, its had 4 front and 6 rear tyres.

Looks like i am averaging 5,000 miles per front and 3,600 miles per rear.

Maybe it's time for a change?
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:59 am

and another thing

The Angel ST had no grip problems at all
Back to top Go down
klaas123
Biondino
Biondino
klaas123

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:44 am

Review about the Angel GT with some comparisons to the ST

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:11 am

klaas123 wrote:
Review about the Angel GT with some comparisons to the ST

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Nice Review
Back to top Go down
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:41 pm

Does it make sense to purchase a tyre solely on its looks, because geez, those Angel GTs just look fantastic! Love the tread pattern, and even the bling on the sidewall. Gotta love those Italians, they can even make tyres look good!
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:45 pm

Brent S wrote:
Does it make sense to purchase a tyre solely on its looks, because geez, those Angel GTs just look fantastic! Love the tread pattern, and even the bling on the sidewall. Gotta love those Italians, they can even make tyres look good!

Its one of the reasons you bought an Italian bike in the first place, so yes :-)
Back to top Go down
klaas123
Biondino
Biondino
klaas123

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:28 am

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
george5421
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
george5421

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:05 am

Night Dragon vs Angel GT??
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 5 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

What tyres for the 8V.
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next