GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

What tyres for the 8V.

Go down 
+69
Gootzibird13
JohnA
Holger
Tim Henry
Converted Duc
lcjohnny
CrazyBiker
BBB888
Oz1200Guzzi
kiwi dave
rick pope
Leone
BobW981
motor-timothy
cognosticator
george5421
klaas123
Dolebludging warmonger
Birch
Papa Lazarou
MrGPz
moby
Street
Silverfox
petarzil
Brent S
Grade247
EricS
2highlander
bahamazoo
Charlie J
Stu400
paulbrice
wardest
keenerkeen07
Pete Roper
blue thunder
Omnis
tocino
cbxtc6
Bill Hagan
SuperSimo
waterbottle
GUZ21
frizzit
dskustoms
sidrat
Josh.C
mark111
Mr Griso
plantboy
griso8v
pauldaytona
Chriso
Phang
drw916
guzziownr
rustyrotor
Uzidzit
Ad B
TalkingGriso
Grisonut
cytocycle
beetle
Steak
DungeonMaster
wyno
jollyjeweller
73 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

What tyres for the 8V. - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:45 am

bahamazoo wrote:
Ron,
those PR4s (non GT version) of mine you saw the other day... 10,000km.
can't fault 'em, but I just don't like 'em.
Thats as 'bout as technical as I'm getting!

I like that sort of analysis as it's about as helpful as my own "I like 'em."  Wink

Seriously, curious as to why, but also understand subjective calls as I, too, make those all the time.   Very Happy

Actually, do wonder if your view was from the get-go or recent.  Nearly all tires -- again, in my opinion -- are Sierra Hotel for first half of life, then noticeably (albeit not necessarily dangerously) lose that "feel" until some time short of cording.  

Obviously, that is less true if one squares tires off "quickly" by droning down the slab at high speeds.  My Guzzis rarely do the major highways, so have been lucky not to have done that sort of wear.  Still, I notice the time for the most serious riding is at the beginning of the romance.  The MPR4's extend that for me.

With snow headed our way tonight, so no tire reports coming from me for a few weeks at best.  Brrrrrr.

Best,

Bill

Last edited by Bill Hagan on Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:47 am

Ha ha, ahhh yes, opinions, just like...
looking at my 'stats' file, I see:
Metzler Sportec M3 (?) : Original = bad
Conti Road Attack II @ 4100km = good
Pirelli Angel GT @15,000km = better
Michelin PR4 @ 30,550km = same

I was very happy with the Angels, and was going to replace with same, but swayed by 'public' opinion... I shod with the MP4s.
I unashamedly didn't like the 'look' of them, from the get go.
They are very noisy when new, almost like 4WD mud tyres (well the front is, 'zorst masks the rear?).
So two strikes.
As I said, they have never let go, or done anything to cause concern in the 10,000km so far.
They track well, tip in nicely, grip all over, are stable and sure, pump gallons of water, are black and round...
I just don't like 'em!

Ron notes that there is some funky wear going on... I'll get a pic up later, but the rear is stepped quite markedly. I got my hand up for that one, I ran the rear at 34/35psi over 2 days of hard twisty scratching through the Victorian Alps (and surrounds). 'Somebody' suggested that this achieved extra grip.
He may have been right, but the tyre certainly suffered for it.
I usually run the rear at 38 for mountain runs, and 40 for the long hauls, with the front 38 all the time.
I am heading for new rubber soonish.... the Angels are certainly in with another shot, maybe Diablo Rosso III, maybe the new Dunlops, maybe.... the Sport has less ponies than Mr GRiSO, so softer rubber can last longer...
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:25 pm

ok, a couple of pics of my rear PR4...
it is quite hard to get the weird wear to leap out like it does for the eye.

A: the flat bit that riding 1300k of the Bruce Hwy up and back to Ron's town produces
B: scalloped edge of grooves, the stars of the show
C: searching for chicken strips over here...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

the different heights of the groove edges kinda show up better here...

I'm pretty sure it was caused by under inflation during 'spirited' riding... any other suggestions??
Back to top Go down
2highlander
Biondino
Biondino
2highlander

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:49 am

Don 't bother, I have exactly the same symptoms with my PR4, front and rear. For the GRiSO this shit of rubber truly is not first choice. Will soon replace it with Angel GT's which I rode on the XJR. On this bike the functionality of the Angels was pretty good. When having installed them on the GRiSO I will have a direct comparision which I am curious of
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:24 am

2highlander wrote:
Don 't bother, I have exactly the same symptoms with my PR4, front and rear. For the GRiSO this shit of rubber truly is not first choice. Will soon replace it with Angel GT's which I rode on the XJR. On this bike the functionality of the Angels was pretty good. When having installed them on the GRiSO I will have a direct comparision which I am curious of

So interesting.

I had Angel GT's fitted after the POS OEM Metzler's died (an early and unmourned) death.

OK, but hardly grand.

I remain an MPR4 fan, but find others' experiences and observations interesting. While I suppose there is some objective finding that could made for any tire generally, we are all so different in all sorts of ways that I this is likely yet another one of those YMMV matters.

Bill

Back to top Go down
EricS
Biondino
Biondino
EricS

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:50 am

I just spooned on a set of Scorpion Trail II's. Essentially Angel GTs with deeper tread for improved mileage and durability on big twin Adv bikes like the Multistrada. Only had one ride before frigid temps and snow returned but initial reaction is they're stable with nice roll into corners. Will be a couple more weeks before I can give them a proper breaking in.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:43 am

Very curious as to your assessment (literally) down the road.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Grade247
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Grade247

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:59 pm

I am also looking into tires for the upcoming season in the northeast USA (damn this snow!). I have been looking at the michelin pilot road 4 but this new dunlop roadsmart3 caught my eye. I am NOT an agressive rider at all and want something that will last quite a few thousand miles. Has anyone on here used either of these tyres?
Back to top Go down
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:09 am

I tried the Roadsmart 3's after a pair of PR 4's. The Michelins gave nearly 20,000km, the Dunlops only 8,000 from the rear and 11,000 from the front. I went back to the PR 4's.
Back to top Go down
SuperSimo
Carlotto
Carlotto
SuperSimo

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:01 pm

Metezler roadtec 01 much much better than the Z8 interact. The road techs are brilliant at everything, braking, wet, dry, trashed, touring. Never rode on better tyre. Well except for the Pirelli diabolos I had on my Ducati.
Back to top Go down
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:38 pm

Keen to follow this thread. My '14 GRiSO still has its original Metzeler Z8 Interacts on it. Hard for me to tell if they're good, bad or indifferent, as I have no other reference point to compare them to. If anything, I've always felt that the front end feel was poor, but wasn't sure if this was due to the tyre or the bike's suspension geometry. I tend to run 38 psi rear and about 35-36 front.

I know that the PR4s get generally good wraps, but some of the recent posts on here about those raises some questions in my mind.

In terms of the Pirellis, the Angels get good reviews, but unless I'm mistaken, these are very much designed with 'touring' in mind, with the benefit of longer tread life etc. The Pirelli website is a bit confusing, but surely they have a tyre a bit more sport-oriented than the Angel, but a step down from their top shelf stuff which look like racing slicks?
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:52 pm

BrentS, the Angels come in the ST version, which are supposedly a little stickier... I had an ST on the front before, likely to go ST both ends again in 3-4000k.
Bro-in-law has Diablo Rosso III on his Aprillia Futura, loves them, but I don't have a milage count...
Don't get me wrong on the PR4's. They have never let me down, scared me (that is the right hand that does that) or caused me any concern on the road - traversed lengthy gravel too.
I just don't like 'em!
Don't like coffee made with almond milk either, call me fussy.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:10 pm

Coffee made with almond milk is a crime against humanity.

I really like the PR4's. I find them confidence inspiring.

cheers

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:14 pm

crime doesn't even get close....don't start me on soy No I'm on a milk/sugar/carb free month Shocked
macadamia milk is actually very nice!!

trouble with having you're confidence inspired, is that you need cans of matte black paint handy Razz Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:18 pm

bahamazoo wrote:
ok, a couple of pics of my rear PR4...
it is quite hard to get the weird wear to leap out like it does for the eye.

A: the flat bit that riding 1300k of the Bruce Hwy up and back to Ron's town produces
B: scalloped edge of grooves, the stars of the show
C: searching for chicken strips over here...

the different heights of the groove edges kinda show up better here...

I'm pretty sure it was caused by under inflation during 'spirited' riding... any other suggestions??

have you had a looksee here clicky clicky
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:02 pm

Thank you SidRat Thumbs Up I'll have to re-read that a few times, might even print it out.
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:29 pm

Great article Sidrat, thanks for clickyclick.
I'll have to re-read it a few times for it to sink in, but looks like my rear shock set up is suspect!!
That "rebound too fast" pic looks awfully familiar Shocked
There we go Ron, mysteries revealed... cheers
Back to top Go down
petarzil
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
petarzil

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:15 am

Recently i purchased Pirelli MT 60 RS Corsa. My choice was due to their looks, and the 95%on 5%off riding potential.

After mounting i have done 2 short trips, and i am pretty much surprised.

They are not noisy, excellent dry grip and i believe i improved my leaning angle. Maybe its just a feeling, or i gained more confidence of the smell of new tires.

The only thing i care now, is how many KM they would run.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
2highlander
Biondino
Biondino
2highlander

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:58 am

Did someone experience the brand new Michelin Power RS? Some tests see this tyre as a new reference for riding in bullet mode....
Back to top Go down
Silverfox
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Silverfox

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:08 pm

Hi guys, tricky topic this tyre choice. The feedback from the tyre is so important and at the end of the day this is so subjective. Ideally we should test ride them all Smile Has anyone tried the new Conti RoadAttack 3? I read the contisport 3 turns out to be very good but i have to say sometimes you feel the article is biased.
It is also confusing whether sport or sport touring tyres are the best for everyday use when the tarmac is not perfect and you may have gravel and stuff on the road. I know sport tyres don't last long but some say the overall satisfaction may not be good either other than on a track.
Back to top Go down
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:34 pm

Doing a fairly wide-ranging interweb search on this issue has left me none the wiser. If anything, the two most popular choices seem to be the Pirelli Angel GT and the Michelin PR4. There's a smattering of others that pop up, but these two tyres appear to come up most often.

For me, mileage isn't a huge issue, as I only do a couple of thousand a year. My preference would be for a stickier compound just for the safety factor, especially for a bike that doesn't have ABS. The Pirelli Diablo Rosso (or whatever they are called) seem popular on the likes of Ducati forums etc, but barely a mention for the GRiSO. Perhaps they are too soft for a heavy bike like the GRiSO? Dunno.

Will keep my eyes open for other suggestions in the meantime. Keep the feedback coming though please, as it's very useful to hear of the 1st hand experiences of others.

Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:03 am

and some interesting impressions here... if you can put up with Captain Smug...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

(-Ron,  @ 2:00  he discuses the scalloping rear MP4... more "ah ha!")
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:59 am

When did Doogie Howser start reviewing motorcycle tires?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Street wrote:
When did Doogie Howser start reviewing motorcycle tires?

EXACTLY! cheers

Bill

Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:18 pm

I actually like Tire Threads ....PR4 are my current favorites , tires are and always will be round and black Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

What tyres for the 8V.
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next