GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

What tyres for the 8V.

Go down 
+69
Gootzibird13
JohnA
Holger
Tim Henry
Converted Duc
lcjohnny
CrazyBiker
BBB888
Oz1200Guzzi
kiwi dave
rick pope
Leone
BobW981
motor-timothy
cognosticator
george5421
klaas123
Dolebludging warmonger
Birch
Papa Lazarou
MrGPz
moby
Street
Silverfox
petarzil
Brent S
Grade247
EricS
2highlander
bahamazoo
Charlie J
Stu400
paulbrice
wardest
keenerkeen07
Pete Roper
blue thunder
Omnis
tocino
cbxtc6
Bill Hagan
SuperSimo
waterbottle
GUZ21
frizzit
dskustoms
sidrat
Josh.C
mark111
Mr Griso
plantboy
griso8v
pauldaytona
Chriso
Phang
drw916
guzziownr
rustyrotor
Uzidzit
Ad B
TalkingGriso
Grisonut
cytocycle
beetle
Steak
DungeonMaster
wyno
jollyjeweller
73 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

What tyres for the 8V. - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:46 pm

I am running Angel ST on my 2013, so far I like them and did a track day in Feb with them.
Back to top Go down
https://www.pbase.com/cognosticator
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:26 pm

I have Angel GT's that came with the bike when I bought it. I think they are good tires, plenty of confidence though mine have a bit of a tip-over sensation when cornering at a certain angle/speed. Perhaps my riding style isn't 'sportive' enough for the tires.
When its wet I have less confidence in them in corners, but it's not like anyone buys tires to go knee-scraping when it rains.

My next tires will be more touring orientated with better wet grip (either metzeler roadtech 01's or michelin pilot road 4/5's). Even so I can recommend the Pirelli's if you have a more sportive riding style.
Back to top Go down
george5421
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
george5421

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:14 am

Thanks. There are so many good tires out there, but I hate the stock Metzler z8s.
Back to top Go down
BobW981
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BobW981

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:06 pm

Surprisingly for such a personal and emotive subject, this thread has been quiet for 3 years. 

I’m looking for new tyres for my SE, and they have all changed somewhat in the last 3 years.  Have read advice to choose a sports-touring tyre, being mindful of the bike’s weight in particular the rear weight bias with the CARC. 
My contenders in ascending order of price, fitted are:

Bridgestone Battlax T32 @ £300?
   Pirelli Angel GT II @ £305?
   Dunlop RoadSmart III @ £310
   Michelin Road 4 GT  £310
   Michelin Road 5 @ £320
   Conti Road Attack 3? £??

I was leaning towards the Michelin’s, but they’re are in short supply. My supplier is suggesting the Dunlops. 
I’ve got Pirelli’s on my other bikes, so there may be a leaning to them?  What are people currently using?

Last edited by BobW981 on Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:17 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Leone
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Leone

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:40 am

Conti Road Attack 2 or 3. Gives you a very sticky and secure feeling tire like the Sport Attack, but with a bit more mileage.

I put Road 5's on my Tuono and was initially unimpressed (actually, almost disturbed). However, after a few hundred miles of break-in and rider acclimation, I have to say it's indeed a highly competent tire for any public road, but rewards a smoother riding style (what you might expect given the longevity envelope).
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:59 am

I've had two sets of Road5s, and have been happy with everything except life span. About 4,500 miles and the mid-sides are gone. Plenty of rubber in the middle and the edges.

That said, I recently picked up a screw in the back tire, and the only replacement available locally was a ContiMotion, a fairly cheap, low performance tire. I love it. I had it scuffed to the edge the first day, and I rarely scuff a tire that far. After nearly 1,000 miles, I still like it.
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:27 am

I absolutely hated the original tyres on my GRiSO. For some reason, the GRiSO did not want to dip into corners, but instead wanted to continue in a straight line.

Lasted until nearly 10,000 kM when I replaced them with Michelin PR4 GTs. Wot a difference!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:25 am

Michelin Road 5's keep 350kg of bike and my cranky arse stuck to the goat tracks like shite on a dinner plate.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!

Oz1200Guzzi and BobW981 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:32 am

I have the Road 5s too - love them. Might have to spend some $$ on a new set for Rego but then again, depending on how long this lockdown lasts, maybe they'll get through again. That means another set in the New Year - it's a consumable item.
Back to top Go down
BBB888
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BBB888

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:26 pm

I have Michelin Pilot Road 3 (PR3) and simply cant fault them in real world use, well other than they are an ugly tread pattern.............they just work on real roads wet or dry. I think they would probably overheat in track day use but if you are just riding roads they are a superb all rounder and significantly cheaper than the latest PR5s.
I have Pirelli Angel GT on a 2009 Monster 1100 which are also excellent, although I haven't been out in the wet on them and the Monster is way lighter (167kg dry) than the GRiSO.
My son has just fitted Bridgestone 016s to his Jap 4, following recommendation by two friends of mine on Ducati 888 and 1098 who say the Bridgestone is also a great allrounder and cost effective as its an older model.

BobW981 likes this post

Back to top Go down
CrazyBiker
Carlotto
Carlotto
CrazyBiker

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:22 am

Anyone ran a 190/55 tire? I have a Roadsmart 3 take off that I wanna use.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:53 am

A 190 will scrape. I have experienced it.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:03 pm

Do you you want road rubber which will warm quickly and stay warm when you are slowed by traffic or it rains, then will grip in the slimy stuff and give good mileage?
then Mich PR4, Dunlop Roadsmart or Metz Roadtec01.

But you know you really want tyres that look F sexy and say "Sport" in the name
and grip really well on a 150hp 190Kg bike at 75% throttle for 20miles unless it rains Basketball
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:49 pm

It seems tires must be expensive to be good. And if they're touted as good track day tires, that's a bonus. It's human nature to believe we're the best at whatever the activity, so we need the best equipment.

Until one day we realize that we're at best, average, so average tires are plenty good enough. After wearing out lots of "good" tires, I'm now running a set of ContiMotions. Low in the rankings of perceived performance, but cheap, like me. So far, I'm very happy with them, rain or shine.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
Converted Duc
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Converted Duc

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Sat May 07, 2022 3:51 am

beetle wrote:

Michelin Road 5's keep 350kg of bike and my cranky arse stuck to the goat tracks like shite on a dinner plate.

Hey Beetle, with these are they the Road 5 GT or just Road 5. I need new tyres and was wondering if we need the Gt for the weight.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Sat May 07, 2022 4:14 am

Just the R5's. I couldn't get GT's at the time. The R5's are great, and the GRiSO does stick to the road like shit to a blanket, but I think I'll spring for the GT's next time, simply because the previous PR4 GT's were brilliant.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Sat May 07, 2022 5:56 am

I LOVE the Road 5 GTs, a cut above the Road 5.
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:09 am

Just wanted to share my recent tire experience. Couple of years ago I had Metzeler Roadtec 01's (heavy version) installed and they performed well, very confidence inspiring tire but steering was quite heavy with them and as they wore it would give the sensation of tipping over in corners.

Last year I switched to the newest Dunlop Roadsmart IV's after reading raving reviews about them and my tire-guy was also praising them into the heavens. Horrible tire. From the moment they were fitted the bike felt as if I was balancing the motorcycle on eggs. After only 3 months a kettle-like high pitched sound appeared at highways speeds which I spend a lot of time trying to track down not realizing it was these tires. The bike was twitchy while cornering and last month after only about 9000km's the tyres had a ridiculous wear pattern like the scales of a crocodile. Not sure if I got a bad batch of tires but these tires really sucked the joy out of the GRiSO for me.

Last month I replaced them with Pirelli Angel GT II's (A spec front and rear despite not being recommended by pirelli) and I am very happy with them. So far they feel like the best tires I've had on the GRiSO but obviously they are still very new so will see how they perform after a couple of thousend km's, also didn't test them in the rain yet.
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:55 am

Motor Timothy
I agree that the Metzeler Roadtec 01's (whilr they a very, very good tyre on most heavy fast bikes) do not suit the GRiSO well and when they wear they pick up on white-lines and grooves quite badly.

Maxxis Supermaxx ST seemed to suit it well - the rear only last 4k miles but it only costs £90 gbp
Back to top Go down
Tim Henry
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Tim Henry

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:17 pm

Shinko Ravens get about 10k miles from rear more from front never had a uneasy feeling in all conditions. I had a few set on my old GRiSO 8v and recently had a set installed on the 07 $300 bucks that included mounting
Back to top Go down
Holger
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Holger

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:40 pm

Pirelli Angel GT2
Back to top Go down
Tim Henry
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Tim Henry

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:46 pm

I tried them didn"t last for me here in flat florida
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:03 pm

Just ordered Michelin Road 6’s cause my Pirelli Angel GT’s have worn flat down the middle in the front at 7,000 miles. Last set I left them on until about 9,000 anyway.

Tim Henry likes this post

Back to top Go down
Gootzibird13
Biondino
Biondino
Gootzibird13

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:37 pm

Road power 5's ride description. Out of all tires ridden on this bike (SE) the wear of tread between front and back are on pace with each other. Currently at 4200 miles and estimate 500 miles left on rear. But must say, no flattening on middle strip of rear and front is perfectly normal. Most sticky tires to date and most expensive as well though. Area of riding south Florida. There's my 2 cents.....
Back to top Go down
kubbie
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
kubbie

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:41 pm

Running Road 5's. Put them on in preparation for a trip to Deal's Gap that didn't happen. To replace a set  of Road 5's from the previous trip. Swapped the old set onto my TT600. They weren't trashed yet, but would not have survived the ride up to "Happy Fun Time" let alone the actual mountain ride.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What tyres for the 8V.   What tyres for the 8V. - Page 6 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

What tyres for the 8V.
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next